AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woke up to eggs!!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Woke up to eggs!!

1BBC7E4F-3355-449C-890F-C979818C8B60.jpgE3392928-8FF0-47EC-8F46-EA4B33F3E3DA.jpg seems like my brown and red have laid eggs. All I see is the eggs didn’t see it happen. But the brown is guarding them. My problem is the eggs are at about 3” from the top of the tank. Today is water change day. So what do I do? This is the first time any of my discus have laid eggs so I’m clueless. Also the eggs seem red in color. Is this normal.

Registered Member

Default Re: Woke up to eggs!!

tom, once the embryo is sufficiently developed and eyes are clearly visible, can remain for many hours without water as long as they remain warm and moist. In the meantime you know that an established aquarium can go several days without a water change. That or just drain down to the eggs and change. If the tank is 30 inches high the top 3 inches is 10% of the of the volume. That brown fish is nothing but brown. Why is that? I was hoping that the black with red spots was somehow involved in this spawn. If someday that should happen I want them babies.

Registered Member

Brown plus red would be purple
    Have you ever seen a purple discus?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    Brown plus red would be purple
    Have you ever seen a purple discus?
    blue and red equal purple. I do believe that Tom does have what appears to be a purple discus.

Real Name
    Tom

Red and brown is purple? Really! Lol. Thanks peewee! Good to know. Yes I understand the whole tank thing. It’s just that even though the tank is cycled I’m always changing water. I still feed a lot so the water does get dirty. Especially since it’s planted. Not expecting much but I am ready . I just moved the small guys into the 75 so the 45 is up and running and cycled. I have a few SAE and Cory’s still in there. So if anything does happen I’ve got a tank . They laid the eggs on the intake pipe at the top. On a rubber hose between the upturn into the tank and the downspout. So I think it would be easy to remove and add to the 45. But not sure if that’s smart. Guessing I will have to move the parents too?
    So I’ve never done this what should I expect. Besides them eating all the eggs. Will these hatch in a tank like this? Will they move to the parents? If that happens when would be the best time to move to the 45? How do I know male from female. The brown seems to be staying with the eggs the most.

Yes peewee it’s brown. Is that surprising?6EC51C13-8443-4773-87F8-D8C11B201FB9.jpg

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Its always very exciting seeing eggs laid in your tank for the very first time. I wouldn't do anything for a few days except a minimal water change if need be. Next stage is to see if you have a male in there with her who has fertilized the eggs. If the eggs do hatch then you'll have to consider if you want to attempt raising the fry, but i cant see tat happen in the current tank.

I hope they do hatch for you. Good luck
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Tom

I would not worry and watch and make them earn it .
    It is very rare for a first spawn to work out .
    That being said if you missed hooking up the best pair going they surely would repeat and give you another chance ..
    I am with Joe ^^. Watch and see what comes from it and then put on the game face if you want .
    Make reservations for that 45 and be prepared to move the pair and the spawning site for the next go around ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

The brown seems to have the female profile.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

That is WAY exciting Bro.

If the eggs are colored, then they are fertilized. If they turn all white they are not.
    If I understand it correctly.

I hope you get babies!

Real Name
    Tom

Looks like fungus has takin over the eggs. I’m guessing this means they were infertile? So what should I do now? Besides change the water . Should I see if these 2 mate again in this tank or should I move them into the 45 and see if they mate there?

Real Name
    Tom

You can do either move them or watch .
    Watching will just let you see if the male is harassed or distracted possibly ?
    If you move them then they are all set .
    I leave bag eggs if they don't get eaten or if in a hatcher as sometimes there are a few that survive the mass fail !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Looks like fungus has takin over the eggs. I’m guessing this means they were infertile? So what should I do now? Besides change the water . Should I see if these 2 mate again in this tank or should I move them into the 45 and see if they mate there?
    Why not move them if you like the two fish as individual specimens. You should learn fairly soon what you have.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok so something must be in the water . Today my largest discus were laying eggs on a piece of wood. But as the blue layed the eggs the orange was eating them.65A9BFF4-CEEC-43D0-B4CA-4E999D3C2592.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Lots going on in this tank now. Had yet another pair lay eggs 487469B3-F4B2-4F9F-8048-5FB5EB7A2D14.jpg the red and the blue laid eggs on the filter. And today while doing a water change and checking for shrimp I found a wiggler. So the last pair did something right . This evening I found this from the first 2AD063656-8AA7-4E88-9D8F-4B333A925910.jpg

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Wow. They are really going for it now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast