AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 90g - Discus, Rummynose, water parameters

Registered Member

Default 90g - Discus, Rummynose, water parameters

I'm a bit away from setting up my tank, so while I'm still brainstorming, I wanted to get your thoughts on a couple of things.

I've read quite a bit about 1 Discus per 10 gallons. I'm thinking 8.

However, I've never had a tank large enough for Rummynose Tetras. And with a 90g, this is finally my opportunity. If I go with 8, how many Rummynose Tetras do you think I can have for a thriving tank? I'd rather go with less than more.

Lastly, my water parameters for my current 10g planted tank are in my signature. Would these be sufficient for a planted Discus tank?
    Last edited by igotgats; 08-25-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: 90g - Discus, Rummynose, water parameters

Your water is good and I would think you could have 10-15 rummynose with the discus. Thing is the tetras may not live a long life. I think discus water is to hot for them. I know they are a choice for discus but I’ve never had them and from reading their highest is about 80. Discus will be at 84-86.

Registered Member

With 8 juvi discus in a 90, you can have 20 or 25 rummies. The more the merrier. Less than 10 rummies isn't worth it. Put the rummies in first to either cycle the tank or establish themselves; adding them later will be an expensive buffet for the discus. Ask me how I know.

Personally, in a 90g, I would rather have more discus than tetras. Recommend a dozen juvi discus all from the same batch/vendor to start.

Better to keep nitrates under 10 and preferably 5.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    With 8 juvi discus in a 90, you can have 20 or 25 rummies. The more the merrier. Less than 10 rummies isn't worth it. Put the rummies in first to either cycle the tank or establish themselves; adding them later will be an expensive buffet for the discus. Ask me how I know.

Personally, in a 90g, I would rather have more discus than tetras. Recommend a dozen juvi discus all from the same batch/vendor to start.

Better to keep nitrates under 10 and preferably 5.
    I use the API test kit. My Nitrates are either 10 or 20. The colors for both on the API chart are insanely similar. It's one of those....so maybe my Nitrates are at 10ppm?
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Registered Member

The 1 discus per 10 gallons in my opinion is a broad application. Take in to account the size of the fish and the water change percents. I have kept 5 discus in 30 gallons with out problem Yet as they grow I am now keeping 4 in 30 gallons. By the way the math for 5 fish in 30 gallons is 1 fish per 6 gallons.

Real Name
    Brendan

I like the idea of dither fish and they can be fine. However if you ever need to medicate or raise to higher temps etc, some do not tolerate it. Unless you have a big group of them, they can tend to stress about lots of large fish trying to eat them. Personally for a small tank, I’d stick to just discus. I’d also recommend keeping nitrates no greater than 10.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    I like the idea of dither fish and they can be fine. However if you ever need to medicate or raise to higher temps etc, some do not tolerate it. Unless you have a big group of them, they can tend to stress about lots of large fish trying to eat them. Personally for a small tank, I’d stick to just discus. I’d also recommend keeping nitrates no greater than 10.
    I'm going to be setting up a 55g QT for all fish starting out before they go into my 90g. So, if I need to raise the temp/medicate, they can go there.