ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Top drilled holes and specs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

Default Top drilled holes and specs

I searched previous rap threads & couldn’t find an answer, but feel free to redirect me if I just missed it. I’m going to setup a 180 gallon (72” long) display tank with a sump. I want to hide all pipes, filters, etc. I will also be installing an Aquadecor 3D background, which can be customized for the intake and return pipes. My question is with regard to pre-drilled holes for intake and return. I’m assuming that holes on the top are better than bottom with regard to preventing back flow and flooding of the sump because you can set them so that only a max amount of water can drain. Correct? If so, what would be the ideal placement with regard to distance from top and sides? Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Default Re: Top drilled holes and specs

An inch below the waterline, Also investigate a true union one way valve. Can be a major flood protector when using a sump

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    An inch below the waterline, Also investigate a true union one way valve. Can be a major flood protector when using a sump
    Thank you very much! I did not know about true union valves.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I did slightly closer to the top edge for both, but I rigged up jigs so that I wouldn't crack the glass while I was drilling.

You can go much lower, if you utilize an elbow pointed upwards to set the height. However, you don't ever want those elbows popping loose, as you will then drain wayyyyy down, so make sure that they are secure.

The advice captainandy gave you is very, very sound!
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    I did slightly closer to the top edge for both, but I rigged up jigs so that I wouldn't crack the glass while I was drilling.

You can go much lower, if you utilize an elbow pointed upwards to set the height. However, you don't ever want those elbows popping loose, as you will then drain wayyyyy down, so make sure that they are secure.

The advice captainandy gave you is very, very sound!
    Thanks!