ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me identify my discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Default Can someone help me identify my discus

Hello,
    I need help identifying two discus, they are about 3.5" to 4". They look very similar even though I thought they were different.
    Help much appreciated.
    First one:
    D1.jpg
    D2.jpg

Second one
    D4.jpg
    D3.jpg

The seller claimed they were these kinds:
    D5.jpg
    D6.jpg

They don't look anything like them.

Thank you,
    Daphne
    Last edited by daphne; 08-27-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Can someone help me identify my discus

Discus.com strikes again :/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Discus.com strikes again :/
    Yes... terrible person. The rudest on the phone and emails. I told him to cancel the order after the first communication but he shipped it anyways... none of the fishes look like what I ordered, but these two are the most obvious. Two fish were dead and some were not shipped at all. No refund was provided.
    I’d love to know what they are, I decided to keep them because I was afraid they’d die if I refused the package, and they have grown on me.

Real Name
    Willie

They are Red Melon or Golden Sunshine, old strains, and not particularly high quality examples unfortunately. The last two pictures you posted are stolen from Kenny and represent several generational improvements over the fish you got. Both pictures are of Select Grade discus.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If you paid w credit card I would talk to your bank to get your money back.
    Sorry for your bad experience Daphne. If only you found SD first the reviews here would have halted your purchase before you made it. The bloke is crooked as a bent stick...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Daphne, sorry you had a bad experience and we would have for sure recommended not going with discus.com. Did you happen to notice the name on the shipping box?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    If you paid w credit card I would talk to your bank to get your money back.
    Sorry for your bad experience Daphne. If only you found SD first the reviews here would have halted your purchase before you made it. The bloke is crooked as a bent stick...
    Call the credit card company and file a dispute. At least for the dead merchandise.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Thank you, I did start proceedings with the CC, hopefully in my favor. I don’t remember the name on the box unfortunately. All I know is that none of the fishes looks like what I ordered so basically it’s not at all the color and style assortment that I was trying to achieve. They are all about 4 inches long, so I’m waiting to see what they will grow into. I wish I had discover the form earlier.
    I did however purchase a very nice yellow rafflesia from another breeder in SC last week, very beautiful and lively, as described
    Last edited by daphne; 08-28-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

if these two are 4” red melons, will the yellow stripped face turn solid white and the spots in the body fade as they grow? Will they become deeper red too? I’m trying to visualize what I will have so I can choose what additional fish I want to add to my collection. Initially I wanted all reds and all yellows ( no oranges) in solids and patterns (with white). Right now I have 3 orange mystery fishes ( including the two I posted pictures of), two yellows ( one solid and one rafflesia with white markings that came from SC) and one brownish/turquoise with stripes ( I didn’t want stripes or turquoise but it’s here now). So depending on what these orangey looking fish will become, I may want to ad a patterned deep red panda or checkerboard, and a deep red melon so I can have the reds I initially wanted.
    Thanks for the help.
    D.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    if these two are 4” red melons, will the yellow stripped face turn solid white and the spots in the body fade as they grow? Will they become deeper red too? I’m trying to visualize what I will have so I can choose what additional fish I want to add to my collection. Initially I wanted all reds and all yellows ( no oranges) in solids and patterns (with white). Right now I have 3 orange mystery fishes ( including the two I posted pictures of), two yellows ( one solid and one rafflesia with white markings that came from SC) and one brownish/turquoise with stripes ( I didn’t want stripes or turquoise but it’s here now). So depending on what these orangey looking fish will become, I may want to ad a patterned deep red panda or checkerboard, and a deep red melon so I can have the reds I initially wanted.
    Thanks for the help.
    D.
    You can increase the red by feeding red color enhancing foods. Foods with shrimp and salmon are a few of the red color foods.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    if these two are 4” red melons, will the yellow stripped face turn solid white and the spots in the body fade as they grow? Will they become deeper red too?...
    I don't believe these fish will change their coloration or pattern at all. They'll likely look the same or more faded as the fish gets bigger.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I don't believe these fish will change their coloration or pattern at all. They'll likely look the same or more faded as the fish gets bigger.

Willie
    Thank you all. While I have had brackish and African tanks for years, I am a complete newbie with discus. I did all my research on water and colors and adult strains, but I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of fish color at different ages, so I didn’t question it at first when they arrived looking completely different. I will try the food in hope it works, but it looks like I may need to look for new reds if I want some in my thank. What a disappointment!
    Is it the same for all Discus at that 4” size that they won’t change? Do I need to expect the other ones to stay as they are as well? There’s some sort of orange base pigeon leopard ( it was supposed to be a bold white/red ), a brown/turquoise with dark vertical bars ( it was supposed to be bold red with blue hints, no bars), and an all over pale yellow ( it was supposed to be bright yellow with a white face). Are they all going to stay as they are now? Oh boy... not what I wanted at all.

Real Name
    Francis

Have a look at Kenny's August shipment ......those are the actual discus that's he is selling with strains and colours.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...list-included)
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Hi Daphne,

If red is what you want I would look into getting some 3R'S from Kenny. They are a vibrant red and are golden based so they won't pepper.

Mark

Real Name
    Tom

It tough to say. Discus do change color as they grow. Unfortunately you bought from a unreliable source. Pretty much a thief! Please leave a review on his site.
    How big were they when you got them? Can you put up a pic of the whole tank. I’ve bought discus at 2” that did major color changes as they grew. Your next thing is mixing discus. Anything new should be quarantined for about 4 weeks before added to main tank. How big is your tank?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast