AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help with raised area at base of fin

Registered Member

Default Help with raised area at base of fin

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I do have a quarantine tank set up to medicate if necessary. First picture is his unaffected side.
    Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    A few weeks ago I noticed this raised area at the base of one of his fins. Nothing unusual happened around this time.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Occasionally will clamp the affected fin. Eats fine, interacting with others (who are breeding like wild fire right now). Color looks good. However, the area is definitely looking worse.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    No medications yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 Gallon set up 8 months ago. 6 discus from 4-6 inches, 6 skirt tetras, 3 corey's.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    75% twice a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

8 months, light sand substrate that gets vac'd twice a week with water chances. Maybe an inch deep at the most.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No, I'm on a well and my water is relative hard. I get no PH swings at all.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Seachem Prime

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____86F

- ph _____7.8

- ammonia reading ____0 ppm

- nitrite reading ____0 ppm

- nitrate reading ____5 ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water 100%

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    1 cube of beefheart and 1 cube of FBW in the morning, flakes mid day, 1 cube of beefheart and 1 cube of FBW with dinner, flakes in the evening (Nutridiet discus flakes)

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

IMG_2242.jpgIMG_2241.jpgIMG_2240.jpg

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Help with raised area at base of fin

Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Any ideas?

Real Name
    Tom

Looks like the beginning of lymphocystis ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Francis

Lack of water changes.. It's like a diaper rash.... most cases of lymphocystis in warmwater fish will resolve on their own after a few weeks, as long as husbandry is good (good water quality/chemistry, good nutrition, correct population densities, optimal social groups) and as long as other stressors have been eliminated.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

K I’ll up my water changes. Thanks!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If it were mine I would also add salt @ 3tbsp/10gal for 2 weeks, replacing with WC's to make sure that no secondary bacterial or fungal infection attached the raw exposed tissue. After 2 weeks stop the salt and let the WC's remove it...

Registered Member

Welp it's been a while since I posted but I'm still fighting this thing. I think it may be a tumor? Did PP baths twice, been doing daily water changes and have thrown in salt dips. I'm stumped. He's also been through general cure and erythromycin. I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas would be helpful. Oh and none of the other fish in the tank have anything remotely like it. It's gotten to the point where it has occluded the fin and prevents it from flaying out.

Real Name
    Brian

I agree that it looks like it could be a tumor. There's really nothing you can do if it is. Has it changed as all?

Registered Member

Yeah it's gotten bumpier. Fortunately he's eating and acting fine so I'll keep him going unless he can't use the fin at all. The RN in me almost though of sedating him and trying to debride it but I'm assuming if it's a tumor it'll just come back.

Registered Member

Couple of questions
    1) Did this suddenly appear or did it start much smaller and increased in size
    2) Did it change since you first reported it? if so, how?

Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply. I've been still fighting this thing with him. I'll post some updated pictures. It has gotten worse. It started smaller and has gotten larger. Sorry for the crappy quality. The top part of his fin won't grow back as whatever it is has occluded it. I've kept up with daily water changes (75%), PP baths, Salt baths, 2 rounds of metro and 2 rounds of general cure since this started. I'm completely stumped. IMG_2326.jpgIMG_2327.jpgIMG_2329.jpg

Real Name
    Jake

With that amount of treatment and the fact that it seems to be getting larger would lead me to believe that it's a tumor. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it.

Registered Member

Thanks, I agree as well. I appreciate everyone's input. He's eating well and interacting with the other fish just fine so I'll keep him going until it hinders him. Hate to cull him but it's part of the gig I guess.