ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: a good rainbow fish source?

Registered Member

Default a good rainbow fish source?

Im thinking i might try a rainbow fish tank want to try something different does anyone have a good reliable source for ordering quality rainbow fish. thanks alot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Default Re: a good rainbow fish source?

Hi @Matt2426

Finding quality rainbowfish is not always easy, most of the ones we see in LFS are raised on fish farms in Asia. Is there a particular species you are looking for and possibly I can help you find a source?
    -Roy

Roy, I love that first pic. Neon's are my favorites and the tank is killer.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
    Hi @Matt2426

Finding quality rainbowfish is not always easy, most of the ones we see in LFS are raised on fish farms in Asia. Is there a particular species you are looking for and possibly I can help you find a source?
    -Roy

those are beautiful! I'm not 100 percent sure i want a nice variety of colors. I like the bosemani the emerald the kamaka , the neon dwarf. I really like the lake kurumoi sunset dwarf. do you have any experience with imperial tropicals i looks like they have a nice selection to chose from. you know if they have quality ones.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

For rainbows, there are a handful of good sources you can purchase online mainly from private breeders listing on Aquabid. Look for the names Roseline17, alloddballaquatics, ldbrown, rainbowfish, and others who have good reviews on their profile. Imperial tropicals is also one of the better sources of rainbows as they have a long standing reputation and are very transparent about their business. With rainbowfish, you're really looking for pure bred fish from home based hobbyists and trying to avoid the weaker, washed out specimens from the fish farms. A good breeder should be able to tell you where they sourced their fish from as these fish are collected by a few fish enthusiasts. I'd strongly advise you to join the facebook group "Rainbowfish live" to learn more about general rainbowfish info and to get in touch with fellow enthusiasts of rainbowfish. They are very knowledgeable and love to share advice on how to properly take care of rainbows.

Registered Member

I've gotten some nice ones from Imperial Tropical's

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    For rainbows, there are a handful of good sources you can purchase online mainly from private breeders listing on Aquabid. Look for the names Roseline17, alloddballaquatics, ldbrown, rainbowfish, and others who have good reviews on their profile. Imperial tropicals is also one of the better sources of rainbows as they have a long standing reputation and are very transparent about their business. With rainbowfish, you're really looking for pure bred fish from home based hobbyists and trying to avoid the weaker, washed out specimens from the fish farms. A good breeder should be able to tell you where they sourced their fish from as these fish are collected by a few fish enthusiasts. I'd strongly advise you to join the facebook group "Rainbowfish live" to learn more about general rainbowfish info and to get in touch with fellow enthusiasts of rainbowfish. They are very knowledgeable and love to share advice on how to properly take care of rainbows.
    ok thanks ill check out aquabid. thanks for the info!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've gotten some nice ones from Imperial Tropical's
    ok thanks