AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Registered Member

Default Re: Need Help

I dont think fishes were fasted for 24 hours before shipping since I placed order around 10 in morning and same day they were shipped. I follow the acclimation procedure as per his guidelines. So what is the best way to prevent ammonia burn when opening a fish bag and is there any treatment for it

thanks

Real Name
    Francis

When the bag is opened and expose the bag water to air this allows the ph to raise and the ammonia becomes toxic and burns the fins..
    I usually use the flip and flop method for new arrivals. As for treatment daily water changes with 1 or 2 Tablespoon salt per 10 gallons . No improvement in a few days and need to use antibiotics like Furan 2(Nirtofuzadone).

Quote Originally Posted by npaul65 View Post
    I dont think fishes were fasted for 24 hours before shipping since I placed order around 10 in morning and same day they were shipped. I follow the acclimation procedure as per his guidelines. So what is the best way to prevent ammonia burn when opening a fish bag and is there any treatment for it

thanks
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Do I need to isolate him or can i treat the whole tank.

thanks

Real Name
    Tom

If a bare bottom tank just treat the tank.

For me new arrivals get a 2 bucket treatment. First make sure temp in bag is within 2 degrees of tank. Than one bucket has a gal of tank water the other empty. I open and spill the bag into empty bucket. Than pick them up by hand and add to tank water bucket. Let sit in tank water for 5min than by hand add to tank. This way keeps them from having ammonia burns and getS whatever ammonia is still on them off before entering your tank.

Registered Member

Yes it is a barebottom tank and thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I will get the furan 2 to start treatment if that fish survives tonight

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Well said Francis...my thoughts exactly!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    If a bare bottom tank just treat the tank.

For me new arrivals get a 2 bucket treatment. First make sure temp in bag is within 2 degrees of tank. Than one bucket has a gal of tank water the other empty. I open and spill the bag into empty bucket. Than pick them up by hand and add to tank water bucket. Let sit in tank water for 5min than by hand add to tank. This way keeps them from having ammonia burns and getS whatever ammonia is still on them off before entering your tank.
    Why by hand and not with net?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

A net & it's frame can damage the fish by stripping the slime coat if they thrash about. If you gently cup in 2 hands it is easy to control the fish resulting in little to no damage.

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for their help but sadly that fish couldn't make it last night. Is there anything I need to do for the remaining Discus to keep them happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Paul (making a guess on name)

I think furan 2 is a good choice for and definitely treat the whole tank. Also you need to increase your water changes to dilute the nitrites. Nitrites will kill fish so please also add regular salt to the tank (3 tablespoons per 10 gallons). The salt will aid the fish by preventing the fish from absorbing the nitrite into their bodies (look up brown blood disease). The furan 2 and salt will work well together with the water changes. I would suggest a 50% water change a day. If your filters allow consider lowing the water level in the tank so the water changes are more manageable. The reason for the ammonia/nitrite is addding a large bio-load (discus) to your tank. It is called a mini-cycle and generally lasts a week or so.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hello

Thanks for the advice i checked my nitrite and amonia yesterday and they both came zero. Currently I was dosing salt and melafix. Do you think I should go ahead and treat the whole tank with furan 2 with salt to save my remaining fish as that one died last night. Isn't it furnished 2 destroy biological filter if you treat the whole tank.

Thanks

Real Name
    Pat

Sorry for the lost of your fish. How do the rest of the fish look?
    Pat

Registered Member

So far so the rest looks ok but fingers are crossed

Real Name
    Pat

I would suggest to continue with the salt and melafix since you have started the treatment. Next time if you have white poop issues consider getting pure metro.
    Pat

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. How long should I continue that treatment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast