AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am really at a loss for words

Default I am really at a loss for words

Hello everyone ladies ,men girls and boys. Why are there still domain's on the web like Mac's discus and my favorite DISCUS.COM who are still allowed to sell there bogus fish. To all discus enthusiasts new and old to the hobby these individuals are selling you sh_t fish just to get rid of inventory. God isn't there a Better Business Bureau anymore to police these guys, what does it take to get them to sell what they show in pictures. I'm sick and tired of my friends and forum members on here that are thinking they just bought the best looking fish on the web, and it turns out they just got hosed. Why can't there be something done besides just saying buyer beware, if I see or read about another new discus enthusiasts crappy encounter with DISCUS.COM I will go ballistic That's my gripe and I'm sticking to it............................Jim in OHIO

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: I am really at a loss for words

No matter how much we try to spread the word, people still fall for flashy websites and cheap prices...

Real Name
    Tom

The fish industry is completely unregulated .
    That translates to liars get to lie ..
    Most would be better served if they really followed the advice of many who are like them and trying to enjoy the hobby before a shady 'used fish salesman' ..
    It hurts me when a good enthusiastic keeper gets poor fish .
    The quality of the fish you get is a huge factor in the level of enjoyment you get .
    Unless your a med student and enjoy experimenting with medications ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Brian and I do our best to encourage people away from vendors like discus.com and others. Al created the livestock review section to show both good and bad vendors. Al personally vets SimplyDiscus sponsors so members have a selection of trusted sources. The bottom line here is people need to do their research plus what Brian says to true, people fall for flashy websites and cheap prices.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

This is a large following of the SimplyDiscus forum which would mean that many potential buyers would be forewarned. As such those, such as Discus.com, potential business are greatly impacted in a negative way. Later those who buy discus from any source eventually find there way here and then realized their mistakes and the next time purchase from a good source. Your comfort might come in knowing that because of the forum hundreds of sales are turned away from Discus.com and their ilk.

Real Name
    Tom

Unfortunately reality is most discus keepers are not on forums on the internet. Look on Facebook how many people have discus tanks. 50% are beginners who start at there local fish store. There are very few who join forums. Most only after they have problems. Of these some still don’t give up the seller they bought from. By me most stores don’t sell discus. They just don’t sell. So of course the cheap sellers on the internet will get the buyers. These are the hardest fish to keep. Not a beginner fish. Most beginners first question is how often do I change the water. When you say daily they don’t understand. Those who have success have kept fish for a long time and have a idea of what there getting into. Even if you buy from the best seller if you don’t take care of the discus it will have problems.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    This is a large following of the SimplyDiscus forum which would mean that many potential buyers would be forewarned. As such those, such as Discus.com, potential business are greatly impacted in a negative way. Later those who buy discus from any source eventually find there way here and then realized their mistakes and the next time purchase from a good source. Your comfort might come in knowing that because of the forum hundreds of sales are turned away from Discus.com and their ilk.
    You just described me to the T.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Unfortunately reality is most discus keepers are not on forums on the internet. Look on Facebook how many people have discus tanks. 50% are beginners who start at there local fish store. There are very few who join forums. Most only after they have problems. Of these some still don’t give up the seller they bought from. By me most stores don’t sell discus. They just don’t sell. So of course the cheap sellers on the internet will get the buyers. These are the hardest fish to keep. Not a beginner fish. Most beginners first question is how often do I change the water. When you say daily they don’t understand. Those who have success have kept fish for a long time and have a idea of what there getting into. Even if you buy from the best seller if you don’t take care of the discus it will have problems.
    Preach it bro
    So true in every account

We should all go up there and kick the crap right out from between his ears for every poor looking fish he's sold. Then again we would be up there for a couple of years. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

I recently had a good experience with Macs. Five 1.5 inchers purchased 3 or 4 mos ago and are now in the main tank growing, healthy and happy.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    I recently had a good experience with Macs. Five 1.5 inchers purchased 3 or 4 mos ago and are now in the main tank growing, healthy and happy.
    I too have had a good experience with Macs as well.
    However, one of the small PBs died.
    He just never seemed to grow at all like the others.
    Also, I ordered 2 Ruby Red 2" and I really do not think that is what I got.
    They are now much bigger. One is just cream color with a white face and the other looks like an orange Marlboro.
    I know it is a crap shoot when you buy small fish, but he assured me they would be red and beautiful.

Here is a pic. What do you think he is?

Ruby Red Macs.jpg

The Red Turk on the left is a $30 fish I got from Pet Supermarket.
    They get their fish from Sun Pets in Florida.
    I have one exactly like it in the shop tank as well.
    Both are doing amazing!
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 09-04-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

And this Red Turk is the last remaining of 5 from Discus.com
    They all died off one by one. It was horrible.
    I call him my $250 fish.

RTRK.jpg

Registered Member

I have heard nothing good about Disgust.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Vinni, when you got your fish from discus.com did you happen to note the name on the shipping boxes?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Vinni, when you got your fish from discus.com did you happen to note the name on the shipping boxes?

Pat

No, I did not. That was the first batch of discus I ever ordered. I wish I had known to look back then. It would have been some good information. I had no idea they were drop shipped. Especially after talking directly on the phone.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 09-05-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast