ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A tale of two pairs & Conflict induced Bonding

Registered Member

Default A tale of two pairs & Conflict induced Bonding

So I have two pairs in two separate aquariums. Pair A are in a 50gal and spawn every 7-10 days. However the female has never let the eggs get beyond two days. She has gone from eating them within the hour and has gradually progressed to the 48 hour mark. Obviously from reading and research this isn't uncommon and eventually they'll see it through to the wriggler stage.

However, there is a stark contrast from Pair B. They're in my main 120G with other discus, cory and tetra. The male was wayward, aggressive, and had taken to releasing milt over AFDBW. However, they have spawned 3 times. I removed the first spawn just to confirm they were viable. The second spawn reached two days and on the third (technically the second try at raising) they bonded and allowed the eggs to reach wriggler stage.

The difference between these two pairs is that the pair in the community tank seemed forced to bond because of conflict. The other smaller male and smaller female appeared jealous and wanted to invade their community pair's territory (50% of the aquarium) and forced them to fight. It forced them to defend their territory to the point where they've banished even the cory cats to the other half of the aquarium. Competition seems to have forced the pair to do their due diligence and in just two spawns leap frog (no pun intended) PAir A who have been trying for 6 months + week in week out.

I'm actually fascinated by this contrast. 2 months + of spawning vs Two spawns where the parents had no choice but to fight and maintain/defend a territory?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Last edited by Rolla P; 09-04-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: A tale of two pairs & Conflict induced Bonding

Interesting Rolla. My guess would be to move the new pair into a tank of there own and see what happens. The first pair you may want to sell. Knowing they are a pair would make them appealing to buyers. Or move them back into main tank and see if that younger pair can inspire them to follow through.
    It’s new to me but I now have 3 pairs laying eggs in my tank. The first pair laid eggs and watched them for 3 days than they were gone. A second pair a few days later laid eggs no more than 5” from the first. As this was going on a third pair laid eggs on the opposite side of the tank right next to where rams were laying eggs. The second pair watched the eggs again for 3 days and the eggs never went white. But we’re gone on third day as were all the others. So my question to you is how long till they become wigglers? Than swimmers? Thanks.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Interesting Rolla. My guess would be to move the new pair into a tank of there own and see what happens. The first pair you may want to sell. Knowing they are a pair would make them appealing to buyers. Or move them back into main tank and see if that younger pair can inspire them to follow through.
    It’s new to me but I now have 3 pairs laying eggs in my tank. The first pair laid eggs and watched them for 3 days than they were gone. A second pair a few days later laid eggs no more than 5” from the first. As this was going on a third pair laid eggs on the opposite side of the tank right next to where rams were laying eggs. The second pair watched the eggs again for 3 days and the eggs never went white. But we’re gone on third day as were all the others. So my question to you is how long till they become wigglers? Than swimmers? Thanks.
    In my limited experience it takes 60 hours from the eggs being laid until they hatch. My timeline has always been

.24 hours after spawn eggs go from bright to dark orange
    .48 hours eggs have a distinct dark spot in the middle
    .60 hours tails appear and they wriggle in place while on the cone

I've never got to the free swimming stage but months of spawns has made me more knowledgeable on the viability at the egg stage.
    Last edited by Rolla P; 09-04-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Rolla. Funny as I write this the first pair is at it again. This time cleaning off the mag float magnet. Great and I was about to clean the tank . Wonder if I do if I could just move the mag lower as I do it . Lol I will try this but maybe tomorrow.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Thanks Rolla. Funny as I write this the first pair is at it again. This time cleaning off the mag float magnet. Great and I was about to clean the tank . Wonder if I do if I could just move the mag lower as I do it . Lol I will try this but maybe tomorrow.
    I wouldn't modify the area they've chosen as their designated spawn site.

Real Name
    Tom

Since they stopped I did a quick water change. When changing water in this tank I always look for shrimp. This time I found a wiggler. Still in it egg. Pretty cool. So I’m guessing ar least one of the pairs are productive.

Real Name
    Tom