AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water change regularity

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Water change regularity

There's actually more to water quality than water changes alone. Overall tank maintenance is just as important. You can change your water every day and still have water related issues if you don't maintain the tank itself. On the other hand, you may be able to do less frequent water changes if you perform perfect maintenance. Have a look at this thread. Very informative and logical... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Up until recently, I did 50% daily. I started doing 90-100% daily over the last 3 weeks and have noticed a significant improvement in the fish’s “mood”. For reference, my tank is 650L, bare bottom, 17 discus ranging from 4-7 inches.

I also want the biggest baddest discus around, I also want to protect my investment! I’ve spent thousands of dollars on fish and set up, so why not do big water changes daily?
    Interesting observation Brendan. I've seen an increase in people who are anti-water change recently. They have the opinion that since they can do it then everyone can. Then they show photo's of footballs and runts. You are proof of the value of water changes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

Theyre beautiful fish Dan, its a shame you had to shut it down.
    Thanks for sharing, i'm def gonna up my w/c from once a week (50%).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

I'm just wondering how the effect of such frequent water changes has on the balance of GH and PH.
    What ill effects could such frequent water changes have on the water chemistry do you think?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

just read this post by 'afriend' 2015. what a read it is!
    everything stated makes perfect sense and makes a person realise that when you feel you may be doing enough in terms of maintenance, there are other many other variables to always to keep mindful of.

I would love to have a sand base, instead of gravel. Because I use an Eheim gravel vac every day I find this problematic (I once used sand for my smaller tropical tank) as the vac sucks up any small light particles, and I love to use the vac everyday.

Having said that, I do use the vac on my discus tank every day, to scoop up the poop (small river pebble base)
    Last edited by kerrie6703; 09-06-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Well if your changing your water from the tap than your fish will adjust to that ph and be fine with it. In reality it’s just another reason to up the water changes. It keeps the ph close to or the same as your tap water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

thanks for sharing!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

yup, makes sense. our water here in Melbourne comes out about 7. in the tank it seems to level out @ 6. (quite a bit of driftwood in there).

whats your water like (out of the tap) there Tom ?

I'm guessing you use RO water?

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by kerrie6703 View Post
    I'm just wondering how the effect of such frequent water changes has on the balance of GH and PH.
    What ill effects could such frequent water changes have on the water chemistry do you think?
    None, provided the new water is temp and ph matched. If doing large, say greater than 50%, aged and aerated.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

thanks Brendan. the PH of my tap water is around 7. the PH found in my tank is around 6.

I don't have the facilities to 'age' the water with regard to water changes.

Have plenty of aeration in the tank (I large inside filter + 1 smaller one - both breaking the water surface)

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Interesting observation Brendan. I've seen an increase in people who are anti-water change recently. They have the opinion that since they can do it then everyone can. Then they show photo's of footballs and runts. You are proof of the value of water changes.
    I’ve noticed this too, bending the ‘rules’ with less than ideal outcomes. And thanks, the fish seem to appreciate my efforts lol.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

what do you consider to be a bad discus Willie?

I imagine people have all sorts of 'agendas' when it comes to this hobby.

I'm happy to keep my babies happy in their environment and to reach a sizeable age, relative of course.

I guess some 'hobbyists' may be driven more by ego .. bit like cars and engines with some people ... the bigger and grunt'ier the engine .... blah blah

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by kerrie6703 View Post
    thanks Brendan. the PH of my tap water is around 7. the PH found in my tank is around 6.

I don't have the facilities to 'age' the water with regard to water changes.

Have plenty of aeration in the tank (I large inside filter + 1 smaller one - both breaking the water surface)
    If your tank is 180L, then aging 90L is not much at all. Are you able to put a 90L drum somewhere, even if you have to run a pump and hose to pump it into the tank from another room?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kerrie

Brendan, are you aware of or had interaction with Living Reef Aquariums in QLD at all ?

Real Name
    Brendan

Yes, why?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast