AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hillstream Loaches

Registered Member

Default Hillstream Loaches

I've read that a lot of people have kept Hillstream Loaches in the 80s, and they've been fine...let alone breed in these temps.

Has anyone kept them with Discus? Would love to have a couple in my 90g if it can work; allow them to thrive.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Hillstream Loaches

I thought hillstream loaches needed cold water. Like low 70s. Also thought they come from fast moving streams?

Registered Member

Agreed. They do. But that's what I'm saying. I'm reading about more people keeping them in much warmer temps with low flow.
    Curious if anyone has attempted them in a Discus tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    R V

I actually have 3 reticulated hillstreams in with my discus and i keep it at 86 F in there. Zero issues. Gotta remember these fish are mostly far removed from the wild. They are used to whatever water they were bred and raised in. Maybe wild caught would have a problem but tank raised should be able to adapt as long as you keep the temp and parameters stable. Stability is key.

I know that this is an old thread but I have lately gotten a hankering for trying to breed these cool fish. I never had the tank space for fresh water rays so I got Discus which don't use monster tanks. I think that Hillstream Loaches would be the closest I could get to miniature rays.

Does anyone her have them? I'll give them a try if there's a market for them. I can't imagine a more fun project.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve been wanting to try them since Vinny had them. Havnt heard from him lately. They are not to available by me and very expensive when someone’s got them. I’ve read of people with discus breeding them accidentally. So it should be easy for you . But a market for them may not exist. Are they available by you now?

I'll be going to my LPS tomorrow. I'm sure they can get them through their supplier. They charge me their wholesale cost for what I get from them so I won't be able to beat the price. They're on AB for $20. each plus shipping.
    Mama Bear