ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Hans Growout

Real Name
    Geoffrey

Default Discus Hans Growout

My wife is purchasing discus from Discus Hans for my birthday! She is the best!

I will be getting 2" - 2.5" 24 in total.

They will be housed in a 55 gallon to start and upgrade into one of my larger tanks. The plan is to feed 3-5x a day of my homemade beef heart mix, tetra tropical granules, brine shrimp flakes, and whenever forrest is able to ship some of his Aquabites. For water changes I was going to try a drip and vac hybrid, so always running a drip and then 2x a day vacuum out the poo with a quick wipe down. I will have 2x sponge filters along with 2x 300watt pro-heat heaters from jehmco. I know 2 300 watt heaters is overkill, but I have had other heaters that just stopped working so I like having backups, I know I am crazy!

The Alenquer had to be special order since Hans no longer keeps them in stock. So I will be receiving them possibly next week or some time after depending on when he receives his shipment from Stendker.

I will post pics of the setup later, been doing some work in the fishroom and moving things around.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Discus Hans Growout

I'd recommend you go to 2 X 100 W heaters instead. There's a huge misconception that discus cannot handle cold water. They can't handle rapid changes, but a gradual drop of 15F when a heater dies poses no problem. Day/night temperatures in the Amazon vary by more than 10F. But running two huge heaters can result in your cooking 24 discus. I've lost entire tanks of discus when a heater gets stuck. It's not fun at all.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats on your upcoming Hans discus! I too have Hans discus. 6 from last year at 8 this past June. 2 from the last group being white leopard.

Real Name
    Francis

Hoping to see some photos of the drip filter system.

Quote Originally Posted by gmaniac View Post
    My wife is purchasing discus from Discus Hans for my birthday! She is the best!

I will be getting 2" - 2.5" 24 in total.

They will be housed in a 55 gallon to start and upgrade into one of my larger tanks. The plan is to feed 3-5x a day of my homemade beef heart mix, tetra tropical granules, brine shrimp flakes, and whenever forrest is able to ship some of his Aquabites. For water changes I was going to try a drip and vac hybrid, so always running a drip and then 2x a day vacuum out the poo with a quick wipe down. I will have 2x sponge filters along with 2x 300watt pro-heat heaters from jehmco. I know 2 300 watt heaters is overkill, but I have had other heaters that just stopped working so I like having backups, I know I am crazy!

The Alenquer had to be special order since Hans no longer keeps them in stock. So I will be receiving them possibly next week or some time after depending on when he receives his shipment from Stendker.

I will post pics of the setup later, been doing some work in the fishroom and moving things around.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I'd recommend you go to 2 X 100 W heaters instead. There's a huge misconception that discus cannot handle cold water. They can't handle rapid changes, but a gradual drop of 15F when a heater dies poses no problem. Day/night temperatures in the Amazon vary by more than 10F. But running two huge heaters can result in your cooking 24 discus. I've lost entire tanks of discus when a heater gets stuck. It's not fun at all.
    you're right, I should go lower. I read your reply last night and thought about it, I should definitely go lower. Now I have to see what lower watt heaters I have. I know I have 25 watt for my breeders and then maybe a 250 watt. I have too boiled fish with a malfunctioning heater, the things you try to forget

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Congrats on your upcoming Hans discus! I too have Hans discus. 6 from last year at 8 this past June. 2 from the last group being white leopard.
    I am excited! I started getting into discus almost 3 years ago. The first I purchased were 15x dime sized from Joe Gargas at Aqua Research Center. I was an idiot and didn't do enough research, I should have not gone with anything that small starting off. I lost the majority of them, I believe I only got around 5 to 2" and now I only have 2 left I thought oh I have kept fish in the past (all growing up) and then hadn't had anything for a couple years. Discus were always the fish I wanted but could never have, no LFS had them. I have to say though my first time around I did not do awful haha! I did get them to breed, I just never got them to size. I didn't know what I was doing with my water until they were stunted. Where I live the water is pretty bad, so I installed a whole house filtration system. Now the water out of the tap is perfect for grow outs and then I have a second filtration system that I setup for breeding using RO units that I then remineralize. My remineralized water were getting them to pop eggs out left and right.

Here are 2 that started breeding from the batch from Joe Gargas.

homegrown-pair.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by gmaniac View Post
    ...Here are 2 that started breeding from the batch from Joe Gargas.

homegrown-pair.jpg
    It's a miracle that you got anything to grow from Gargas.

Real Name
    Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hoping to see some photos of the drip filter system.
    I will for sure be posting photos once i have it all setup.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

That sounds awesome! Excited to see the pictures. Good luck growing out the discus.

Real Name
    Geoffrey

50 gallon grow out setup with drip/overflow system, 3x 50 watt pro heaters, 2 large sponge filters (been running in my larger tank), and I have an inline siphon vacuum that goes into the drain line

grow-out-01.jpg
    grow-out-02.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Such a luxury having a cement floor and drain in the fish room.

Registered Member

Great looking fish room, I am now jealous!

Real Name
    Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Such a luxury having a cement floor and drain in the fish room.
    yes it is pretty nice and when you accidentally leave water on to fill up your staging containers it is really nice

Quote Originally Posted by For100 View Post
    Great looking fish room, I am now jealous!
    thanks it is a work in progress, I am going to start a separate thread for all the projects going on in the fishroom.

Real Name
    Geoffrey

Haven't forgot about this...

Things got a little crazy, we bought a house and we are having some work done on it. Going to have to build out the fish room all over again. Which is fine because I have some better ideas on how I do things.

One bad thing about the move was I moved my fish to the new house and since there is work being done the power was turned off for a little while... all my fish died so I will have to completely start from scratch.

Real Name
    Geoffrey

Renovations are almost done in the new house, so we are finally moved in. I have been working on the new fish room, it has been downsized so I am going to have to be creative on how I fit all these aquariums. I am hoping to put in an order here soon for some discus once I setup a quarantine tank and let it cycle.

I will post pictures and updates once I start to make some progress on the fish room.

Real Name
    Geoffrey

REVIVE! Haha!

I am reviving this thread because I am finally getting close to placing this order. I have been working on my new fish room, I will have quarantine setup in my office. While these grow out I will continue to work on the fish room. Working on the plumbing currently, I will take some pictures and post them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast