AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: One of planted Discus tanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default One of planted Discus tanks

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

Here is one of my tanks there is a seventh discus in the plants.

Dual filters for capacity and redundancy not flow and redundant heaters, CO2 and photo sessions are 9 hours each with CO2 coming on and off an hour earlier. Daily dosing of fert. 33% WC twice a week.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 09-08-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: One of planted Discus tanks

Looks beautiful...very serene!

Real Name
    Tom

Great looking tank! Blues really pop! What light are you using?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Great looking tank! Blues really pop! What light are you using?
    2 Fluval 3.0

Thanks, again this is in an office that is now closed but is a combined office that I use for a charity that houses the homeless and my real estate development/investment company. The clients/residents love the tanks! I am a believer in planted tanks as plants are much more efficient at removing ammonia, etc. than bacteria is and when you combine the two it is even better. I will post pictures of the other tanks over time, I just added one more and I have plans to add one last one a 115 gallon UNS 120 which will be a planted discus tank. Oh, and quarantine and fry tanks in the basement.

Real Name
    Shan

Nice. I used fluval 3.0 too prior. I found a combination with a 2 bulb T5HO made the reds extra red. But looks gorgeous nonetheless
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice David. I really like the hardscape and healthy plant growth. But I always was a sucker for a nice planted tank. With CO2 and ferts, everything should grow in really nicely in a few more months.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on something I learned the hard way. With CO2 running during the day, all those stem plants will really start photosynthesizing during the day and at night with suck all the oxygen out of the water due to respiration. It's hard for large fish like discus and angelfish to handle the low O2 levels. I have actually lost some angelfish and almost lost discus this way. I had to put an airstone on a timer to run at night to keep the O2 levels up. With 7 discus in there, it's a definite possibility.

I know you didn't ask for a critique so feel free to disregard anything else I say, but that tank could really use a background of some sort to hide all the wires and junk hanging down in back. It just takes away from the really nice aesthetics you could have with that tank. You might also consider just one strain of discus. The blue diamonds really look nice and would really pop in there. Actually, you could just take out all the discus and just have a large school of tetras. The plants and hardscape are so good by themselves you don't even need discus to have a beautiful tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Very nice David. I really like the hardscape and healthy plant growth. But I always was a sucker for a nice planted tank. With CO2 and ferts, everything should grow in really nicely in a few more months.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on something I learned the hard way. With CO2 running during the day, all those stem plants will really start photosynthesizing during the day and at night with suck all the oxygen out of the water due to respiration. It's hard for large fish like discus and angelfish to handle the low O2 levels. I have actually lost some angelfish and almost lost discus this way. I had to put an airstone on a timer to run at night to keep the O2 levels up. With 7 discus in there, it's a definite possibility.

I know you didn't ask for a critique so feel free to disregard anything else I say, but that tank could really use a background of some sort to hide all the wires and junk hanging down in back. It just takes away from the really nice aesthetics you could have with that tank. You might also consider just one strain of discus. The blue diamonds really look nice and would really pop in there. Actually, you could just take out all the discus and just have a large school of tetras. The plants and hardscape are so good by themselves you don't even need discus to have a beautiful tank.
    Any critique is fine and appreciated, thank you for yours. I think that I have my CO2 running properly, it comes on an hour before the lights and goes off an hour before. We look at it almost every day and one of my employees just turned down the CO2 (I turned it back up to where it was). I have 5 tanks in my office and one is an aquascaped tank with only embers and green tetras plus bloody mary shrimp (and Amano) in it, love it! I am going add an UNS 114 gallon tank that will have only one strain of discus in it, I love the blue types! Most of my tanks have the ADA white background on them, I need to add the background to this tank and have both filters have same Lily Pipes, etc. Thanks for the kind words and we are thinking the same way.

Real Name
    Jakub Wyka

Originally Posted by Tdemleracademy
    I'm an academy student with a hobby to increase the number of discus tanks in my room, lol. I've 3 planted 30 and 40 gallon tanks: did a pimion case study using one of them for my marine science project. What would you advise on planting?
    Depending on your tap water parameters. I would consider Reverse Osmosis water, in the first place.
    Plant types would largely depend on your lighting setup. If you choose only one Fluval, it should be enough for low-medium light, but you will need 2 Fluvals for higher demanding plants.