AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Tank Setup Experiment

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default New Tank Setup Experiment

On Thu., 8/27/20, after viewing this video on U-tube by Dr. Novak: https://youtu.be/Hx3lQPRrLuA, I decided to take an empty 40-gallon breeder tank and set it up using a plenum to establish anoxic conditions using the filter sand. Check this out: https://youtu.be/cZ9yqZvFJyU

On Tue., 9/01/20 added (5) Red Alenquer, 3.5"- 4" discus from Chicago Discus. Also for tankmates (10) Cardinal Tetras, (1) Sterbai cory, and (1) Albino bushy nose pleco to the tank. After one week this is how the tank is looking: https://youtu.be/nM0tEr0onXo

The 40-gallon breeder may seem a little small, but for me this is an experiment on anoxic conditions using a modified undergravel filter per Dr. Novak. All comments are welcome.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: New Tank Setup Experiment

So I've never understood Dr. Novak's reasoning for a plenum in a planted discus tank. Is it suppose to reduce the number of water changes? Do the discus grow faster? bigger? I'm not questioning you doing it, I'm just wondering how it's better for the discus. Or is it for the benefit of the plants?
    BTW, those are some sweet looking discus you got from Miranda.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I agree on what you said. I’m doing this to see what will happen. I will never skip my every other day 50% WC! Thanks, these fish are outstanding so far .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Wow! I had undergravel filters back in '80s.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I didn’t mean my comment to come across as snide, I have liked undergravel filters.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

That's cool, I also had tanks with undergravel filters back in the '70s too. But according to Dr. Novak this setup is a little different. The lift tubes are shorter to move less water according to him. So far all is very good with this tank and fish....

Registered Member

Who is Dr. Novak and what is he a doctor in?
    Are there any published results?
    Last edited by captainandy; 09-12-2020 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Willie

Novak self identifies as a Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering in his other videos. I too am at a loss as to his objectives. Why is an anoxic environment better than an aerobic environment, or whether he can achieve an anoxic environment with a slow flowing underground filter setup?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Here are an update and video of the tank. Also, like to give an excellent shout out to Chicago Discus for sending me some fantastic fish, these Red Alenquer's are just amazing. These boys are eating anything I drop in the tank, I'm feeding 4 x daily with Al's FDBW'S , cubed, Bio-Pigment Plus, Tetra Color XL Tropical Granules, Hikari Tropical Vibra Bits, and Cobalt Aquatics Flakes(Discus Hans Approved). Started tank setup on 8/27/20 with the Plenum and added the fish on 9/01/20. After 20 days so far all is good: https://youtu.be/DfhOeMkLpAo

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

My understanding is that Dr. Novac believes that as go nitrates so goes water quality, and the objective is to reduce water changes by promoting denitrification and that an anoxic environment will promote the kinds of bacteria that convert NO3 to N2 and O2. I think that in an environment where your system is not actively modifying nitrate levels (via a plenum, heavy plant load, algae scrubber, pothos planted in refugium, etc.) Nitrates are a good indicator to assess whether your water change volume & frequency is sufficient. But, if nitrates are being actively removed then it is no longer a good value to follow. I do not think that reducing water changes due to reduced nitrate values is warranted or safe. Consequently, the primary purpose of the plenum, that of controlling NO3 levels is thwarted if your water change frequency is going to be unchanged regardless of the presence or absence of a plenum. Whether it actually works is an entirely different discussion. Whether there are other advantages to a low flow undergravel filter is also a different discussion.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

They are very nice indeed Roland! You do have a feeding time bully though. If you split the cubes and press a few pieces in the glass at diff spots around the front & sides the other guys will get more food. Does the one sitting in back corner interact with the others?

Real Name
    Tom

Nice looking discus Roland. Yes it does look like a bully. But the 4 up front have full bellies.
    As to the tank. I don’t think it’s practical with discus. In a community tank with once a week water changes this may work. But with discus and the daily water changes the nitrates are not building up do you have no reason to reduce them.