ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discus not eating, white poop, Metro treatment didn't help

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus not eating, white poop, Metro treatment didn't help

Real Name
    Brian

Fin damage like this can be caused by many different issues like poor nutrition, intestinal parasites, poor water quality, internal organ damage, etc... I wouldn't worry about this at this point. Let's see if we can get them eating and then deal with the fins. A fin trim may be in order if it doesn't correct itself...

Real Name
    Francis

Rotated

IMG_2489.jpg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Maz, I am asking Brian to take a read thru. I am worried that all the meds might have made your situation with the fish worst. It is not a good thing to shotgun meds like this.
    Pat
    As a nurse at a rehab hospital we had a treatment we called, "chicken soup." When all the meds and stuff we not working we discontinued them, focused on nutrition and hydration. I know it sounds weird but more often that not it worked. Biological functions are all whacky due to medications.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Fin damage like this can be caused by many different issues like poor nutrition, intestinal parasites, poor water quality, internal organ damage, etc... I wouldn't worry about this at this point. Let's see if we can get them eating and then deal with the fins. A fin trim may be in order if it doesn't correct itself...
    Hi Brian, just wanted to give an update. It has been 7 days that I've stopped the medication and added salt to tank + daily 50-60% water changes and the temp is at 92F. Couple of days ago I noticed that the fish that first stopped eating (>6weeks ago) was looking for food on the sponge filter, and today it went after beef heart and had a few bites, I am really happy that it started to eat eventually . But the other three are not eating yet and those that are eating have white poop occasionally. I'll keep salt in the tank for another 3 days to complete the 10 days. Please let me know your thoughts and how to proceed. Thank you so much!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by famtsberg View Post
    As a nurse at a rehab hospital we had a treatment we called, "chicken soup." When all the meds and stuff we not working we discontinued them, focused on nutrition and hydration. I know it sounds weird but more often that not it worked. Biological functions are all whacky due to medications.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. The fish that first stopped eating over 6 weeks ago it started eating again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123