AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help Identifying growth or worm on pectoral fin??

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Liam

Default Help Identifying growth or worm on pectoral fin??

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. First of thanks to all of those that have put the effort into this great site as its been a huge help while setting up my own discus tank.
    I hope someone might be able to help workout what this might be.

Thanks, Liam.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

white growth which has a worm appearance attached to middle of pectoral fin, noticed last night. no change in usual routine.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White growth on middle of pectoral fin, occasional clamped fin on this side only, healthy otherwise still eating well and normal poo.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Salt added last night 1 Tbsp/10G.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

125G + 30G Sump, 10 Sub adults mainly in the 6-7" range, 8 lemon tetras + BN pleco. Discus have been in tank around 12 months, the other fish were treated with PP and prazi before adding discus.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

40% (200L) daily via my own autodrain and refill system with vacumming daily and sponges cleaned out every 2nd.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank established 2+ years. Bare bottom with a few remains of PFS from previous setup.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Yes barrel is autofilled and circulated for 24hrs and heated to tank temp+2deg prior to filling.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Prime

9. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 30deg

- ph 7.5

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading less than 5.

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Tap water only, KH is 1, GH is 3.

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    FDBW in the morning, Beefheart mix at night before vacuum and waterchange.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Francis
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Help Identifying growth or worm on pectoral fin??

Until the experts chime in, I’d recommend increasing water change amount if you can. It’s hard to tell from photos. My fish occasionally get blemishes/marks on fins but go away within a few days due to big water changes and regular maintenance.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Brian

This isn't a major concern at this point but it could be an indication of something out of balance in the water column. Your maintenance routine seems adequate but I think this is a water related issue. I'm not experienced with sumps or how to maintain them, but I would start there and do a good cleaning without harming the beneficial bacteria.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important

Real Name
    Tom

These are referred to as discus pimples and as Jeep says usually come from water quality. Two of mine get these regularly. 5CD8AC65-D16A-4716-89EF-82119D5D16A5.jpg. If I change water daily they are usually gone in 3 days. Regularly I change water every 2 days 50% n that tank.

Real Name
    Tom

I'll toss out they look like the same viral issue many angels have been showing.
    Good clean water , maybe vitamins in the food and they should clear up .
    It may take time though if viral.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Liam

Thanks for all the info guys, I've already changed my controller to do a second water change in the morning and I'll run 2xday (400L) for a few weeks. This little guy is the only one that gets the white pimples on the fins and body so it might be abit more sensitive to water quality. Although i wash out the sponges and filter floss in my sump religiously i do have a lot of bio-media (10kg lava rock, noodles, bioballs etc) that i don't touch as I'm too afraid to start a mini cycle. I'll start to rinse these out one by one to see if that makes a difference also.

Below are some of the others i have in this tank that have grown quite well..

Attachment 128924Attachment 128925Attachment 128926Attachment 128927