AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Back to keeping discus after a while

Registered Member

Default Back to keeping discus after a while

Hi, after a long hiatus looking to establish a 65g discus tank. Previously I have got my discus from online stores like somethingphishy.com. However this time looking to get it locally. I live in the Atlanta area. Could you all suggest local stores/breeders please ?

Thanks !

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Back to keeping discus after a while

After 25 years in the discus hobby, I only purchase from Simply Discus sellers, and one other seller who used to be a Simply Discus seller. Here's why.

QUALITY - There are many fish stores in the area which carry discus. I've never seen one I want in my fish room. The fish store owners know that they have plenty of customers who can't tell a high quality fish from a poor quality one. SD sellers have to deal with a much more advanced clientele. Even the new hobbyists will post their discus pictures. If the quality isn't there, someone will comment. If there's a disease problem, someone will comment. So you can guarantee quality.

PRICE - Fish stores do a 200% mark up on all fish, so a guppy that wholesales for $1 is priced at $3 in the store. SD sellers have much lower markups because they don't have to support a brick-and-mortar enterprise, meet a monthly payroll and cover loan payments used to start the store. Their prices may be just as high, but that's because their starting stock is much higher in quality. In contrast, the disease section of this forum is filled with discus from non-SD sources.

Don't ever buy fish from an online aquarium store. Use them for dry goods when one box is the same as the next.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I would follow Willie's advice with DS sponsors you are buying from a reputable breeder that has been vetted by the community.

I bought mine from a local breeder where I could see the parents and see the conditions they are in, I have yet to go to a LFS and see a discus that I would spend my own money on.

Real Name
    Tom

Everything above is so true. But if forced to buy from local store. Buy the smallest discus you can find. Buy something new in the store. You don’t want any discus that’s been in the store for any length of time. So you will have to visit the store regularly to know when they are coming in. Next and as already said if you buy from a sponsor or Hans discus you will get a strong fish to start with.
    The store you mentioned is just a wholesaler and should be avoided. If you choose to buy on line Ask here before you buy .