AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze Dried Blackworm: Yay or Ney?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Default Freeze Dried Blackworm: Yay or Ney?

Hello group,

Recently I read online that FDBW can still contain parasites. Is this true? Would like to hear your thoughts.

Luiz

Registered Member

Default Re: Freeze Dried Blackworm: Yay or Ney?

Quote Originally Posted by Losago1980 View Post
    Hello group,

Recently I read online that FDBW can still contain parasites. Is this true? Would like to hear your thoughts.

Luiz
    Would you share that source so that I can read it as well? Parasites, although potentially harmful in isolation, can in fact help its host to cope with more deadly infections. The question loses some of its concern because even if there might me a parasite that survived the process of freeze dry it does not necessary mean that the parasite is of any concern to the fish's health. The black worm is raised in a clean environment and then flash frozen. All moisture is removed. The nutritional value of the food would seem to far out weight the minimal concern of a bad/good parasite finding its way into the fish's digestive system.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Would you share that source so that I can read it as well? Parasites, although potentially harmful in isolation, can in fact help its host to cope with more deadly infections. The question loses some of its concern because even if there might me a parasite that survived the process of freeze dry it does not necessary mean that the parasite is of any concern to the fish's health. The black worm is raised in a clean environment and then flash frozen. All moisture is removed. The nutritional value of the food would seem to far out weight the minimal concern of a bad/good parasite finding its way into the fish's digestive system.
    Hi Peewee1, thanks for the quick reply.

Let me send you the link here. I first came across that statement while reading an Amazon review for a freeze dried food that I was about to buy. Then I googled it and found a couple more things which threw me off because I always thought of freeze dried food as 100% safe. here's the link of the review on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar

"UPDATE: 4/24/18: After feeding these cubes to my fish I am now dealing with internal worms/parasites. I threw these cubes away as I read even freezedried foods can carry the parasite. I am not 100% but in about 70% sure it came from this product as I do not feed any live or any other freeze dried foods and my tanks are always at 100% in great conditions as I've been doing it for years....I'm now having to save my beauties with Levimasole amd praying they make it and had to bleach all my fish supplies and equipment. Just a warning this product may carry the eggs of the "red worm" as they may have been harvested with the parasite and the worms may have not been treated prior to freezdry procedure and I'm paying for it now. Sad. I'm about to pray for my $800+ worth of fish to a product that didn't specify if they treat their worms.....lesson learned."

Real Name
    Tom

Ok that’s California black worms correct? All those reviews were from the Cali brand. Here Al sells freeze dried black worms from Australia. And like he checks his discus Sponsors he’s checked these worms. He sells them on his simply discus site not the forums. Been feeding als worms since I’ve got back into discus with no problems. Been over a year now.

Real Name
    Frank

I have been using Al's FDBW's for years. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok that’s California black worms correct? All those reviews were from the Cali brand. Here Al sells freeze dried black worms from Australia. And like he checks his discus Sponsors he’s checked these worms. He sells them on his simply discus site not the forums. Been feeding als worms since I’ve got back into discus with no problems. Been over a year now.

Real Name
    Tom

I think the source is of note .
    I have not tried any others but have always used Al's freeze dried Australian Blackworms .
    My fish have not experienced any sort of issue at all.
    All 50+ tanks. I use both 'regular ' and with spinach added for all my breeding stock and many of the grow outs .
    I see no reason to mix beef heart with blackworms ? Just me not a BH fan .
    I would think some frozen and many live food to be 'risky' and therefore am pretty particular about what I feed .
    Not cheap but neither is fish keeping if you are trying to do it right .
    To spend so much on equipment and stock and then skimp on cheap easy food is a common mistake with demanding fish .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Can you please send me the link to order from Al's? Thanks Tom!

Real Name
    Francis

Try here Al Sabetta ..... https://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-dried-foods_c2.htm I

Quote Originally Posted by Losago1980 View Post
    Can you please send me the link to order from Al's? Thanks Tom!
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

Francis beat me to it . I’ve used the pigment,spinach and regular without a problem. I also use the loose and the cube types. I find the cubes make them attack the food but the loose spreads around better so all get some.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luiz

Thanks, you guys are the best!

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

I feed Al's black worms as well. Fish love them.

Real Name
    Francis

This is a rare photo of Kenny Cheung back in 2010 feeding Al Sabetta FDBW.

BDF72BBF-0353-471A-990E-3B48D0463A06.jpeg

AEB9B0FA-5B49-4F2D-BD28-C93E7085693D.jpeg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Although its been said 10 times already.... I have been using Al's FDBW for a couple of years with no issues. Happiest part of the day for the fish

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

The only issue with Al's Aussie FDBW is getting them...exceptional quality, clean, high demand and covid challenges have made them a super hot commodity...the farm in Australia also went through some changes last year that slowed production, but hopefully as things settled this healthy discus candy will become fully available in an unlimited quantity.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

I just placed my first order with Al's today, I am getting to end of Cali FDBW and I think that I will toss the remainder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast