AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My discus will not eat beef hearts

Registered Member

Default My discus will not eat beef hearts

Hello all,

My discus are not eating beef hearts. I purchase the frozen San Francisco Bay beef heart; it just fowls up the water. They eat the pellets and blood worms as well as brine shrimp. They are about 4’, I thought it was good for them to eat it, to grow out. I am trying to feed different foods but this particular food they are not having it. Any suggestions for alternative food, would be appreciated..

Registered Member

Default Re: My discus will not eat beef hearts

Most all discus will each freeze dried black worms. They have a high protein value.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish54 View Post

Hello all,

My discus are not eating beef hearts. I purchase the frozen San Francisco Bay beef heart; it just fowls up the water. They eat the pellets and blood worms as well as brine shrimp. They are about 4’, I thought it was good for them to eat it, to grow out. I am trying to feed different foods but this particular food they are not having it. Any suggestions for alternative food, would be appreciated..
    Maybe they're vegan?

Real Name
    Brendan

Mine won’t eat it either. Try the freeze dried black worms.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

If they're eating a good mix of other foods don't worry about it. I fed my discus pure deer heart grated on parmesan cheese grater...the result is pure heart meat that looks like blood worms! My discus loved it and grew like weeds :thumbsup;

Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions, I will give them a try.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Agreed with what the others have said. Just another suggestion coming from me, when I had issues with my discus eating certain foods -- I stopped feeding for a day and they started eating anything!

Some discus are more picky than others though. Good luck. I say as long as they're getting a varied diet, then it doesn't matter if they don't eat beef heart.

Real Name
    TONY

This is a response post of mine to a member from a few years back:

Re: Alternate to Beef Heart Mix
    Can someone please advice if simply feeding blood worms and brine shrimps will suffice the nutritions required for discus. I am little worried as my discus refuses to accept tetra bits or any other discus pellets.

You'll need a bit more than just that. There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"