AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: German and Asian

Registered Member

Default Re: German and Asian

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Wait a minute peewee are you blaming this on the pilgrims?? And come on everybody know the cook on the mayflower was Asian!
    Now back to the topic . I too feed my discus a garlic food. Nutri diet discus flakes use garlic as an ingredient. Wonder if that the reason for my success?
    When the Pilgrims crash landed at Plymouth Rock there on Lawn Guyland they gave sickness to the Indians right after the Thanksgiving dinner. Is what I meant. In the discus world the Indians are the German discus and the Pilgrims are the Asian discus. The Thanksgiving dinner would be Al's fdbw. I am interested in the Nutri flakes where do I get them? How are the Kenny fish doing? I have not seen photos yet.

Real Name
    Tom

Peewee your message thing was full last time I checked. New fish look great but are very skittish!! They dash around the tank like crazy. They’re eating. The reds are real bullies. Constantly chasing the blues. A19C5E28-ABD9-4BB9-AF12-9E413B193F4E.jpgA8FDB67B-5DBD-454E-8A55-FCF1E8D6C2D0.jpg. The nutri diet. I bought off eBay.53AF4571-14C5-479D-AFAA-89C317E48B24.jpg
    And as to the Asian discus it’s not like you can mix different Asian discus. Some may be immune to some things but not what the guy down the road is breeding. As of now my Hans discus do seem the strongest I have.

Real Name
    Willie

...And come on everybody know the cook on the mayflower was Asian!..
    If they had an Asian cook, turkey would actually have flavor.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If they had an Asian cook, turkey would actually have flavor.
    If the Mayflower cook was an Asian then the Pilgrims would have been eating a duck. I live turkey very much. And I do not get it very often. The kids, Little Ricky and Ellie Mae's, mom does not like fooling with it. So I cheat on her by going over to the neighbors and load my belly on bird of my dreams.

Registered Member

'thanks for the photos! And the garlic food. I cleared out my box thanks for the heads up. Those are nice looking discus you got from Kenny.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Well I lost all 10 discus from Hans since introducing the 5 red alequers from Chicago discus in my 125-gallon tank. A very hard lesson learned here folks by mixing discus. At a crossroads now about keeping any discus fish in the future, the 5 red alquers fish from Chicago discus are doing fine for right now. I'm out, love and peace to all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Well I lost all 10 discus from Hans since introducing the 5 red alequers from Chicago discus in my 125-gallon tank. A very hard lesson learned here folks by mixing discus. At a crossroads now about keeping any discus fish in the future, the 5 red alquers fish from Chicago discus are doing fine for right now. I'm out, love and peace to all.
    That is absolutely frightening, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I have lost a few discus in the past but since I have been buying discus from my current source they all are thriving. I think that there is something to be said for buying from a single source if you only have 1 - 2 discus tanks.

Registered Member

Sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by captainandy; 10-01-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

That's a tough loss to bear. I can empathize with losing a lot of discus at once. I also made the mistake of mixing Hans with asian discus, and I could only watch as my 15 Hans discus withered away into nothing the weeks after putting them in the tank. I had to take time off from the hobby too. It seems as though discus are either thriving or dying for me. Hope you'll feel better about it soon.

Real Name
    Tom

Sorry to here Roland. This is heartbreaking. As of now I have 8 3-4” Hans that I’ve had for a few months now that I was planning to add my new Kenny’s discus too. Last year I added 2 uncle sams to 6 Hans with no problems. Not sure what I’m doing now. Is it all Asian discus or just some? As in do some Asian breeders do it differently?

Registered Member

Even if I mixed bacteria, from tank, filter, plant my German discus are doing great and growing like a crazy (5 feeds per day and 90% WC daily)6394397F-55BE-4C9D-A5D1-FB5DA4BFC67B.jpeg

Registered Member

As an US expat living in CZ for numerous years now, I can add to the question my own experiences.

LFS here import discus from Asia. However, being only 90 min away from Dresden, I can get Stendker discus quite easily. Also, Alexander Piwowarski ships here overnight no issues.

I have tried several times to keep the Discus from the lfs/Asia and the Stendker or Piwowarski discus at the same time (always separate though for the Strendker / Piwowarski).

And each time (i've tried about 4x) , the DE discus, be they Stendker or Piwowarski, die off after several weeks.

The first week usually they look great, are eating, and interacting (especially the Stendker...they are used to people it's clear). Then, after one or two weeks, you can notice that they stop eating and the interaction from them drops off immensely.

Then a few more weeks goes by, and they start to lose their color and within a day or two of that, they are gone. I've tried medicating, pre-medicating, etc, all to no avail. A costly experience to say the least.

LFS/Asian discus , are just fine though through it all.

For me, they just do not go together. And it's a pity, as the Stendker and Piwowarski strains are gorgeous v the local lfs/Asians one here.

So after trying 4x, I personally adhere to the statement, and next step will be to setup a Stendker only tank, but that will take awhile. Or maybe Piwowarski, not sure. At least with Piwowarski, you can get them much bigger already.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bobsmo View Post
    As an US expat living in CZ for numerous years now, I can add to the question my own experiences.

LFS here import discus from Asia. However, being only 90 min away from Dresden, I can get Stendker discus quite easily. Also, Alexander Piwowarski ships here overnight no issues.

I have tried several times to keep the Discus from the lfs/Asia and the Stendker or Piwowarski discus at the same time (always separate though for the Strendker / Piwowarski).

And each time (i've tried about 4x) , the DE discus, be they Stendker or Piwowarski, die off after several weeks.

The first week usually they look great, are eating, and interacting (especially the Stendker...they are used to people it's clear). Then, after one or two weeks, you can notice that they stop eating and the interaction from them drops off immensely.

Then a few more weeks goes by, and they start to lose their color and within a day or two of that, they are gone. I've tried medicating, pre-medicating, etc, all to no avail. A costly experience to say the least.

LFS/Asian discus , are just fine though through it all.

For me, they just do not go together. And it's a pity, as the Stendker and Piwowarski strains are gorgeous v the local lfs/Asians one here.

So after trying 4x, I personally adhere to the statement, and next step will be to setup a Stendker only tank, but that will take awhile. Or maybe Piwowarski, not sure. At least with Piwowarski, you can get them much bigger already.
    Yep. My experience exactly.

It is indeed a shame because I love the German fish as well.

From now on, I am sticking with Asian fish from Miranda at Chicago Discus and Sun Pets thru my lfs. Both are tough as nails and beautiful.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 10-17-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Does anyone else have success stories of mixing? I seem to have done it with no problem at all. I didn’t know it was a problem till I joined this site. In my 125 5 of my fish are store bought. These I would guess are Asian because that where most lfs get there fish. If not than they are local bred. 2 of my fish are from Uncle Sams and we know they are Asian and the last 6 are from Hans. Funny thing a lot are breeding (laying eggs) but none have crossed lines. All within there groups.FB566BCF-C705-4AFF-8ECD-DF76D8A9036C.jpg

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Does anyone else have success stories of mixing? I seem to have done it with no problem at all. I didn’t know it was a problem till I joined this site. In my 125 5 of my fish are store bought. These I would guess are Asian because that where most lfs get there fish. If not than they are local bred. 2 of my fish are from Uncle Sams and we know they are Asian and the last 6 are from Hans. Funny thing a lot are breeding (laying eggs) but none have crossed lines. All within there groups.FB566BCF-C705-4AFF-8ECD-DF76D8A9036C.jpg
    Dude. I love your blue fish!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast