ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Aggression bullying and a broken spawning pair

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

Default Aggression bullying and a broken spawning pair

I have the tank set up for 8 months and over the past 2 months I had a two pair off and laid eggs four times. Each time the eggs disappeared after 2 days. I'm assuming the parents ate them. For the past two days the female seems to have been replaced by another fish. This female called her A, is bullying the other female. B She is being push to the side and is hiding in the corner. When not bullying B, A is in the area with where the eggs were being laid by the pair. She is next to the male and they are cleaning an area. I'm getting very worried about B, she is being bullied by A but the rest of the tank are chasing her when she comes out of the corner.
    Should I try a time out tank, and if so do I put A the bully or B the victim. Should I put B by herself or with her old partner?

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Re: Aggression bullying and a broken spawning pair

I don't know much about this kind of stuff at all.
    Really looking forward to everyone chiming in.
    This will be a learning experience for me too!

V

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Nicole, the answer sort of depends on what your goals are. If you are not interested in the pair I would pull the bully and see of the bullied fish can regain her social status in the pecking order. If she does you can reintroduce the bully at a later time. If you are interested in the pair pull the male and whichever female you wish and move them to a breeding tank.

Also adding more fish (with proper QT) to the group so the bullying is spread out is another possibility.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

Hello
    the next day the aggression in the tank was almost all gone without me having to do any thing. the new pair did lay some eggs but the ate them just a few hours later. The following day I did a water change and it looks like to original pair are back together protecting the breading spot. I am not interested in breeding them. If they have babies great but if not that's okay. I know my LFS will take the babies so all i would need is a grow out tank. Either way I'm okay with what happens in the tank, just no more aggression PLEASE. BUT maybe I should stop obsessing at every little change in behavior and let them do their thing. They all look great today!
    Thanks!