AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Fry 3 Week - Morpholoigical Change Resulting In Behavior Change and Death

Registered Member

Default Discus Fry 3 Week - Morpholoigical Change Resulting In Behavior Change and Death

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone else has had issues with this problem I am having that typically becomes manifest at around 2-3 weeks.

Discus fry develop normally in presence of parents, feeding on combination of newly hached brine shrimp and parental mucus. but I have noticed that perhaps 5 fish per batch develop a disticntvily unique phisology compared to their siblings. The belly swells out, they are often found near the surface of the water, or away from the rest of the fry 'swimming' around. Swimming seems impared. These fish do not have the 'streamlined' look of their brothers and sisters, and look like a 'pot bellied' baby with underdeveloped dorsal fins. The fish that display these symptoms most prominently will be found dead a day or two after i notice the physiological differences.

Could this be;
    1. genetic abnormality
    2. pathogen associated physiology
    3. developmental retardation

Is this phenology related to 'sliders' who suffer from lack of swim bladder inflation? I suspect not because the 'sliders' still develop 'normally' and grow when provided with food, whereas these fish when noticed die very quickly. As mentioned I have noticed this problem (in small numbers) with the spawns of all 8 of my breeding pairs.

I can provide a photograph if it helps, but again if anyone has seen this before and has an answer to this mystery I am keen to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus Fry 3 Week - Morpholoigical Change Resulting In Behavior Change and Death

There are 2 possibilities here. 1. Discus fry will literally eat themselves to death. Be careful not to over feed. 2. This could be a bacterial issue. I've heard similar stories in the past but I don't really know the cause other than food. Hopefully you are cleaning the bbs before feeding?

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus Fry 3 Week - Morpholoigical Change Resulting In Behavior Change and Death

Hmm interesting. No I have not been cleaning bbs. How would you suggest doing this? I have been making a batch every day, extracting into separate clean container (at 24 hours) then placing in fridge to slow down metabolic processes of the bbs. This keeps eggs out and seems like a clean way to keep bbs but I’d you have some additional system to improve cleanliness please share your thoughts!

Thanks!

Registered Member

Baby brine shrimp loses its nutrition value after hatching. Selcon can be added.

Cliff

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Holynehpets View Post
    Hmm interesting. No I have not been cleaning bbs. How would you suggest doing this? I have been making a batch every day, extracting into separate clean container (at 24 hours) then placing in fridge to slow down metabolic processes of the bbs. This keeps eggs out and seems like a clean way to keep bbs but I’d you have some additional system to improve cleanliness please share your thoughts!

Thanks!
    I just rinse them with RO water before feeding. I'm not sure if this could be an issue or not, but it's just a precaution I take.