ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beaky Discus

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Beaky Discus

My opinion about bull dog discus is they are just ugly. They are a deformity that should have been culled. Op I’d be upset! The fact that all of them don’t have that beak has me wondering. Will you be refunded at 6” if still beaked?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    My opinion about bull dog discus is they are just ugly. They are a deformity that should have been culled. Op I’d be upset! The fact that all of them don’t have that beak has me wondering. Will you be refunded at 6” if still beaked?
    Hi Tom,
    I just emailed seller with that inquiry, will see what his response is. The more replies I read the more upset I am. I trusted this seller and bought blindly due to his great reputation and all.
    At first I just wanted to hear from fellow members if what seller stated that this beaky appearance is normal and will eventually grow out, but now I read differently.

Real Name
    Brian

I do not consider this to be normal and I certainly would not be happy if I received these...

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

As beautiful as they are, if I paid that kind of $$$ for them, I would be upset too.
    I think you have every right to pitch a fit over it.
    Who was the dealer?

Real Name
    Willie

Just want to clarify what has been said here.

1. Cliff did not say these fish are bulldog discus, just that bulldogs also have a notch/beak when young. Whether anyone likes or dislikes bulldogs has no bearing on these fish.
    2. I was concerned with the notchy appearance based on the first set of pictures, but the second set of pictures show that they're not nearly as bad as I was led to believe. I also said that the notchy appearance will greatly improve with lots of big water changes and high protein foods.

If you want discus with spectacular shape, perfect foreheads and round fronts, buy turquoise strains. If you go to a NADA or other discus competition, the toughest category is always the turquoise class. They're much bigger, better coloration and perfectly shaped. As you move toward Blue Diamonds, Brilliants (Flachens), etc., getting perfect foreheads are going to be less frequent. In newer strains, the shapes will be even less ideal. A turquoise strain with this forehead would not be in my fish room.

But the latest reds, e.g. 3R's, Rafflesias, etc., never had great shape. They were bred with uniform red coloration as the primary criterion. As you move into the pigeon blood categories, the shape is just not going to be there. These turn out to be a very new variety and I don't expect great size, shape, or likely fertility from them.

In the end, these are not culls. They seem healthy, they have good color and they just don't have a perfect discus shape. They are a world apart from the diseased, stunted, clamped discus often seen on this website from no-name sources. If you want glowing red discus that achieve huge size (6"+), with perfect foreheads, you're probably looking at > $500 each.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

1. Cliff did not say these fish are bulldog discus, just that bulldogs also have a notch/beak when young. Whether anyone likes or dislikes bulldogs has no bearing on these fish.
    2. I was concerned with the notchy appearance based on the first set of pictures, but the second set of pictures show that they're not nearly as bad as I was led to believe. I also said that the notchy appearance will greatly improve with lots of big water changes and high protein foods.

If you want discus with spectacular shape, perfect foreheads and round fronts, buy turquoise strains. If you go to a NADA or other discus competition, the toughest category is always the turquoise class. They're much bigger, better coloration and perfectly shaped. As you move toward Blue Diamonds, Brilliants (Flachens), etc., getting perfect foreheads are going to be less frequent. In newer strains, the shapes will be even less ideal. A turquoise strain with this forehead would not be in my fish room.

But the latest reds, e.g. 3R's, Rafflesias, etc., never had great shape. They were bred with uniform red coloration as the primary criterion. As you move into the pigeon blood categories, the shape is just not going to be there. These turn out to be a very new variety and I don't expect great size, shape, or likely fertility from them.

In the end, these are not culls. They seem healthy, they have good color and they just don't have a perfect discus shape. They are a world apart from the diseased, stunted, clamped discus often seen on this website from no-name sources. If you want glowing red discus that achieve huge size (6"+), with perfect foreheads, you're probably looking at > $500 each.

Willie
    Very well stated Willie
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Willie
    Thanks Willie,

Here are a few more pics. Anyways, seller and I was able to work things out.

3R_13.jpg3R_14.jpg3R_16.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12