AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaky Discus

Registered Member

Default Beaky Discus

Hi all,

Will beaky discus get rounded out when it grows? I have a couple at 4.5-5 inch that has a beak, two that is more pronounced.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 4eye gold fish; 09-19-2020 at 02:29 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Beaky Discus

They call this parrot mouth. Unfortunately this stay with the fish.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    They call this parrot mouth. Unfortunately this stay with the fish.

Cliff
    Thank you Cliff for your response. These are 3Rs and was told by the seller that this is normal for this strain of Golden based reds and that once they reach 5.5-6" it wont be noticeable. Hopefully this holds true.3R_9.jpg3R_7.jpg3R_10.jpg
    Last edited by 4eye gold fish; 09-19-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Unfortunately this notch above the eye is unlikely to grow out. A depression below the mouth also contributes to a beaky appearance. I've seen that grow out with lots of water changes and heavy feeding.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Unless you plan to show the fish...Who cares?
    That fish is beautiful.
    Enjoy it for what it is.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    Unless you plan to show the fish...Who cares?
    That fish is beautiful.
    Enjoy it for what it is.
    Hi Vinni, I agreed and disagreed. I paid premium $$$ for them so I expected them to be premium fish. I bought 6 of these and 5 are beaky with two that is more beaky than the rest. Yes, I will enjoy them for what they are.3R_4.jpg

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 4eye gold fish View Post
    Hi Vinni, I agreed and disagreed. I paid premium $$$ for them so I expected them to be premium fish. I bought 6 of these and 5 are beaky with two that is more beaky than the rest. Yes, I will enjoy them for what they are.3R_4.jpg
    I think they are gorgeous. Send them over here if you don't like that! ; ^ )

Registered Member

I think they are gorgeous. Send them over here if you don't like that! ; ^ )
    Thank you, they are gorgeous, just that they should, could have been even more gorgeous...if you get what I mean. And sure you can have them for the same amount I paid, I wont charge you a penny more or less :P

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Thank you, they are gorgeous, just that they should, could have been even more gorgeous...if you get what I mean. And sure you can have them for the same amount I paid, I wont charge you a penny more or less :P
    I would arm wrestle you for them if I lived up the street.

Registered Member

I would arm wrestle you for them if I lived up the street.
    left or right?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Have you started a dialogue with the supplier? Are they aware that you are not happy with the quality/price of your purchase? They may work with you. If it's an SD sponsor they're usually dedicated more to customer satisfaction than profit margins. I would reach out to them and see...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Have you started a dialogue with the supplier? Are they aware that you are not happy with the quality/price of your purchase? They may work with you. If it's an SD sponsor they're usually dedicated more to customer satisfaction than profit margins. I would reach out to them and see...
    Hi Daniel,

Yes I have communicated with seller, he told me that this is very normal for this Golden Based Red strain.

This is his exact quote "This is considered very normal shape for Golden based reds. That is not consider beaky especially when they are still young. (they are 4.5-5") Once they hit 5.5-6" it wont be noticeable. Many of the sought after high body shape strains in Asia have similar forehead shape. Golden based reds like the 3Rs are rarer than normal pigeon-based and standard aren't exactly the same."

I paid $125 a piece, if you or anyone on this forum were in my shoes, would this have been acceptable quality/service for you? I did not start this tread to piss on seller, I just wanted to know what he told me about the beak going away after growing out is true.

I am very new to discus keeping and have read almost everything on this great forum. I have great respect for all SD sponsors/members and take every advice as gold.

Am I happy with the purchase?... If what I paid and gotten is correct standard then yes. With your expertise, can you say that I received a fair deal?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I cannot say either way mate. Golden based reds are certainly less common and therefore carry a higher price tag, but I did not know that about the body/head shape of the strain...that would have been good to know before buying for sure. Obviously the grade of the fish also plays into the price. What grade were they advertised as?
    When I purchased from an SD sponsor I got multiple pics from different angles and several videos of the individual fish I was buying and was very happy with my purchase for quality & value for money. I would never buy site unseen, or from anyone who doesn't provide individual pics of the fish I am considering as that is really the only way I can have peace & confidence when spending money on high dollar fish.
    All I can say is I hope in the growing out process you become more satisfied with the discus you received for the money spent.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I cannot say either way mate. Golden based reds are certainly less common and therefore carry a higher price tag, but I did not know that about the body/head shape of the strain...that would have been good to know before buying for sure. Obviously the grade of the fish also plays into the price. What grade were they advertised as?
    When I purchased from an SD sponsor I got multiple pics from different angles and several videos of the individual fish I was buying and was very happy with my purchase for quality & value for money. I would never buy site unseen, or from anyone who doesn't provide individual pics of the fish I am considering as that is really the only way I can have peace & confidence when spending money on high dollar fish.
    All I can say is I hope in the growing out process you become more satisfied with the discus you received for the money spent.
    This SD sponsor does not allow picking from his selections pics on this forum or provides pics or videos. One just tells him what strain, price and how many. I have asked him of that the very first time I bought from this SD sponsor. He told me he can't do that because then he would have to do it for everybody. Anyways, lesson learned.
    Yes, I hope that the fish will improve as it grows out.

Registered Member

Thank you Cliff for your response. These are 3Rs and was told by the seller that this is normal for this strain of Golden based reds and that once they reach 5.5-6" it wont be noticeable. Hopefully this holds true.3R_9.jpg3R_7.jpg3R_10.jpg
    I'm taking a closer after these pictures and it shows that some of the Discus have what is call saddle nose or dent right across from the eye. Willie calls this a notch.. Some high body Discus do have this trait take a look at the BullDog Discus.

Cliff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast