AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What is causing this

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Default What is causing this

Hi guys , last time i posted a thread that why my discus doing that behavior , symptoms are they r ready to breed but waiting month & dont seen eggs , i posted picture of my discus pair , All users who reply there, thought that both are male i was thinking the same but before 11 days one of the discus layed eggs on canister pipe ... then I found that i have atleast a female, the eggs are fertile by male too but after 2 days the eggs eaten by the female as the pair in the main community tank ... after waited a week i put that pair in a seperate breeding tank (18" Cube) & the layed eggs again. But today i check & not sure what happend . Maybe the eggs are eaten or not fertile or becuse of 450 TDS its not hatched . So please just see the picture attached & let me know by your good experience that
    1-what happend to the eggs ....
    2- what should i need to do for a good & healthy hatch/fry .
    3- by my limited experience, it was High TDS
    Which is causing this
    4-are these eggs or just the remaining of the eggs
    Pictures : ( first eggs picture is also attached )
    https://ibb.co/XYBV3KD
    https://ibb.co/QvK8h27
    https://ibb.co/Htb9jRw

Registered Member

Default Re: What is causing this

My tap water is around 400-450 TDS and I get spawnings in this however only around 5% will be fertile, while if I spawn the same pairs at around 80 TDS I get 95% + hatch rate. Discus parents will eat eggs that are infertile, I would try lowering the TDS to around 100 and see what happens with the next spawning. You may need to go lower than this, you may be successful at a higher TDS than this, it depends what proportion of your TDS is carbonate hardness.

It's also not unusual for young parents to eat the first few spawns until the get the hang of things, so it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. Give them clean, soft water and a good diet and be patient, I'm sure it will come good in time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Thanks for reply ....Actually I dont have a RO system installed so i cannot lower the TDS now ( or maybe you have a better idea to lower the TDS ) & yes its the second spawn , i am also thinking that they ate the eggs ... first time they spawn on a canister filter pipe those eggs looks good but as that is a community tank so may be they afraid of something thats why second time I put them in Breeding tank , after 40 hours I changed the water around 20-30% & realize that female is feeling scared , on the next day I checked & all the eggs eaten by them .... ( do you also think those are eaten or something else ). I purchased a group of 6 juvenile discus last year & these are the same which almost 11-12 months old now & those are trying to breed but unfortunately I dont have any system to lower my TDS which I think is the main reason but maybe they afraid . Any expert Idea would be needed from other users too
    Regards

Real Name
    Willie

None of the pictures you've posted show that the eggs have hatched. Are you sure you have wrigglers? Discus eggs will hatch at 60 hours after spawning, not 40 hours.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Willie ... thanks for reply , yes you r right eggs will hatch in/after 60 hours .... but did I said that my discus eggs hatched , or eggs hatched in 40 hours , I guess not . Anyway my main concern to post is that .... what is the reason , TDS or armature discus pair or discus scared or something else & by the pictures what u experts think , what are those, the eggs or remaining of infertile/bad eggs , or something else + how you guys lower your aquarium water TDS .

Regards