AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration Question

Real Name
    Matt

Default Filtration Question

Hello everyone,

I have a question about filtration.
    is it ok to use bio media out of an established tank that through the years has to deal with some fish diseases?
    I wanted to start another tank and use some bio media out of the tank to seed it, but then I started thinking if
    this is ok. There is no problems in the big tank now, and hasn't had any issues in a while, so is this ok?
    Thank you for any input on this.
    KCCO!

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Filtration Question

I'm sure that some will disagree with my perspective, but I only worry about discus and angelfish disease. I don't see disease transmission from Corydoras, tetras, Plecostamus, dwarf cichlids to discus. (Just like I stay away from sick people, but not sick dogs, cats, etc.) I keep seeded sponge filters in my livebearer and Plecostamus tanks. When I need a new filter for discus, I just pull sponge from these tanks for immediate cycling.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Willie is on a roll today...I love when proven experience is shared. Hear hear!

I used mature filter media from an african cichlid tank to start my discus tank...no probs at all.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

I agree with Willie on this one.
    I don't know why, but disease seems to be spread by the same species.
    SEEMS to be.
    I could be wrong.
    All my experience sure tells me that though.

Just my 1 cents...

V

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I'm sure that some will disagree with my perspective, but I only worry about discus and angelfish disease. I don't see disease transmission from Corydoras, tetras, Plecostamus, dwarf cichlids to discus. (Just like I stay away from sick people, but not sick dogs, cats, etc.) I keep seeded sponge filters in my livebearer and Plecostamus tanks. When I need a new filter for discus, I just pull sponge from these tanks for immediate cycling.
    Interesting. Does this mean tetras for example, would not need QT before adding to a discus tank?

Edit: just thought I’d add, this is genuine curiosity and not doubting you..
    Last edited by BrendanJ23; 09-24-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

From an infectious disease standpoint, do not feel like that is a valid conclusion. When you use an established filter in a new tank that filter comes from a system which you have in essence "quarantined" because you have had that tank under observation for a prolonged period. The same cannot be said for new fish, they may look good today but how will they look in 4-6 weeks.

Registered Member

I switch sponges for my homebred fish but for my outside aquarium maintenance business I use Quick-Start or Cycle.

Cliff

Real Name
    Matt

Makes sense to me, Thank you. I need to get sponge filter going just for these situations.
    KCCO!