AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Low fertility is better than no fertility at all

Default Low fertility is better than no fertility at all

My poor low fertility pair spawned again. It was a little better this time. 20 regular fry and 1 albinos. In the past I've pulled the spawn after just a few days. The kids do OK but not as well as I feel they would had I left them with their parents longer. This time I'll give the kids a good 3 weeks with mom and pop.

There is no light on the tank itself, the water level is low, and I don't turn on the overhead. Still, I'm not getting my hopes up about the albinos attaching.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Low fertility is better than no fertility at all

That's great Liz. I don't think i knew you had an intermediate pair? But I did turn 50 last week so maybe the ole noggin isn't remembering like it used to, lol

I didn't expect them to be intermediates. They're from my same old homebred strain. I was blown away last time when I saw what I thought were white eggs start to wiggle. None survived that time. O expect the outcome will be the same this time. They should be free swimming tomorrow.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

What a nice surprise! Fins crossed for a high percentage attachment rate Liz

Thanks Danny but don't count on it. Cliff said that he went away for a week after a pair of his albinos spawned. He turned off all the lights in the fish room and when he came back the albino fry had attached. But I need to turn on lights to work down there. Apparently, their eyes are so sensitive that the light blinds them. If I get another chance I may just cover the breeding tank all over to block out all the light for a week and see if it works for me. I'm not a huge fan of albino Discus though so don't keep your fingers crossed that I'll do it.
    Mama Bear