ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Registered Member

Default A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Ok so you'll have to excuse the exclamation points but it is without a doubt a truly beautiful thing to witness in real life. I've seen it on a number of youtube vids but, while trying to work out the conundrum of discus breeding, it happened.

I have never been beyond this point with discus so feel free or should I say please feel free to drop any nuggets of wisdom on my next steps here.

A couple of semi blurry pics and a video. Please click the links.

https://i.imgur.com/aF8gpY3.mp4

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Congratulations!
    If you post more about your tank, occupants, size, water parameters, BB or not, etc. you might get more assistance. Also, under the breeding section is lots of information!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Awesome. Video won't play for me though

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats ! It is awesome to see in person for sure . ENJOY~!
    I used a syringe to target feed the fry BBS while they were still on the parents .
    Some of the BBS stuck to the parents slime so the fry got the 'incidentally' at first .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Congratulations!
    If you post more about your tank, occupants, size, water parameters, BB or not, etc. you might get more assistance. Also, under the breeding section is lots of information!
    180L bow. Bare tank. Water is down to a third to help with the attachment process. 1 male/1 female.

I'm wondering when I should increase the water and by how much. They haven't been attached more than 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Congrats ! It is awesome to see in person for sure . ENJOY~!
    I used a syringe to target feed the fry BBS while they were still on the parents .
    Some of the BBS stuck to the parents slime so the fry got the 'incidentally' at first .
    I'm going to try feeding BBS eggs as well as live bbs but I'm unsure of when to start the feeding and Water changes?

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Awesome. Video won't play for me though
    Here is a new vid. Click the link and it should open on imgur

https://imgur.com/a/Rr4ajMS
    Last edited by Rolla P; 09-29-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Corgrats Rolla!! That is a fine site!!

There is nothing more beautiful than that sight.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

This being the first time I've ever got to this stage I am confused about a number of things.

1. While I understand the number of feeds I should do and the number water changes daily when/if the fry get older... But at this early stage, while they're feeding on parents and while the water is reduced by two thirds to aid in attachment... When should I start water changing and by how much?

2. When do I start adding baby brine shrimp eggs and/or live baby brine shrimp for the fry to feed on?

Once they are for sure attached you can raise the water level every day during your normal daily WC. Depending on the number of fry the parents are dealing with I start feeding live BBS between day 3 and day 5. In your case day 4 should be just right. To get the babies to eating non live food you should try this stuff made by a guy right here in the States: http://fishguysplace.com/preparedfoods00.html#sf
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Once they are for sure attached you can raise the water level every day during your normal daily WC. Depending on the number of fry the parents are dealing with I start feeding live BBS between day 3 and day 5. In your case day 4 should be just right. To get the babies to eating non live food you should try this stuff made by a guy right here in the States: http://fishguysplace.com/preparedfoods00.html#sf
    Thanks a bunch for the info Liz. I'll start raising the water level today.

Unfortunately that food / Link is a US site and I'm a UK resident.

I read a blog some time ago where a discus keeper swore that "Decap BBS eggs" was more nutritious and caused less deaths (in his opinion of course) than live BBS. I've been searching for that thread for a while now but it was a series of clicks that led me there some time ago and I haven't been able to find it since.

Real Name
    Francis

Worth trying ARTIFICIAL REARING DISCUS by Cliff Young.

https://www.mondodiscus.com/2007/11/...y-cliff-young/
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

As a feed source, decapsulated cysts have a higher energy and nutritional value than live Artemia nauplii as zero energy is consumed in the hatching process and lipids, amino acids, and enzymes are left intact.

https://www.artemiacystsaaa.com/deca...-artemia-cyst/

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the info Liz. I'll start raising the water level today.

Unfortunately that food / Link is a US site and I'm a UK resident.

I read a blog some time ago where a discus keeper swore that "Decap BBS eggs" was more nutritious and caused less deaths (in his opinion of course) than live BBS. I've been searching for that thread for a while now but it was a series of clicks that led me there some time ago and I haven't been able to find it since.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

The bad thing about decaps is that you don't get the wiggle factor of live. It matters a lot when weaning babies from their parents.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Good point Liz that is why I listen to experience people like you....learn from the best.

The bad thing about decaps is that you don't get the wiggle factor of live. It matters a lot when weaning babies from their parents.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thanks Liz.

That is something I didn't consider. I was focused on the cleanliness of decaps as opposed to live, I might try a mix of the two?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast