AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Mine have never eaten themselves to death. When they aren't hungry anymore the brine shrimp slowly die and you suck them up when you vacuum the bottom. This is coming from someone who totally overfeeds BBS.

I never store my BBS in the fridge, though it is considered the better way. I make enough for the kids to eat during the day and have another hatchery ready to go when by their next feeding.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Thanks for the input Liz. I really and truly appreciate it!

Do you have any thoughts on how many times a day they should get fed? With how quickly they seem to be developing I'm not sure if there is some type of scale or if it's purely by eye,

The female is by herself due to the male deciding to chow down on his offspring and because of that, the live brine seems like a welcome relief to her. But I was worried about over feeding... That is until your latest post.

I appreciate the help as always.

Some folks feed 5 or 6 times a day. I've never fed more often 3 times a day.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I'm grateful as always Liz.

I emptied the the remaining brine shrimp into a container and left it on the aquarium with the intention to refrigerate them as recommended. I didn't. I mistakenly left them out and was shocked to see that they hadn't spoiled and were still dancing about and active. I've done 5/6 small feeds using a 5ml syringe totalling between 10-20ml with each feed.

I'm still eager for a resource that details how to change feeding and what to introduce during these stages. I'm confident in removing the female after 3 weeks and I'm already changing 100% per day via 2 50% water changes.

In some good news, the distinctive red ring has developed around the eyes of most fry. No luck in capturing that via a picture but I'm noting down the changes as they happen. Very excited and still very nervous.

Real Name
    Tom

Once you see them eating the BBS then you want to sneak in a small amount of fine food like first bites or I use a very fine granule .
    I look at it like 'trick training' the fry .They see the action of the BBS and eat like crazy so will then take small food that is mixed in without even thinking about it .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Rolla, if you feed FDWBs to your adult discus you take some loose or a couple cubes and grind them super fine in a coffee grinder. You want the constancy of dust. Take a teaspoon of the dust and add it to a small amount of warm water. Suck up the worms which settle on the bottom and feed small amounts of these like you are doing with the BBS.

Do not feed the worms which are floating, that is still aborbing water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Once you see them eating the BBS then you want to sneak in a small amount of fine food like first bites or I use a very fine granule .
    I look at it like 'trick training' the fry .They see the action of the BBS and eat like crazy so will then take small food that is mixed in without even thinking about it .
    Hey Coral

I tried this earlier in a pistil and mortar but the fry didn't take to it. They basically spat it back out after tasting it. Finicky little beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Rolla, if you feed FDWBs to your adult discus you take some loose or a couple cubes and grind them super fine in a coffee grinder. You want the constancy of dust. Take a teaspoon of the dust and add it to a small amount of warm water. Suck up the worms which settle on the bottom and feed small amounts of these like you are doing with the BBS.

Do not feed the worms which are floating, that is still aborbing water.
    Pat
    So umm... I'm not a coffee drinker. I can't stand the smell but I'll be Amazon Prime(ing) a coffee grinder the second I'm done responding.

It's weird to see how quickly they burn through food. Their stomachs go from pinkish red back to white within a relatively short space of time. What's clear to me is that even on this site people have their own methods as to what works best in terms of feeding. I've taken to reading the chronological timeline section of this forum to compare and contrast but this thread is actual quite vital.

I do appreciate every bit of help and feedback here. I can't express that enough.

Registered Member

I have gone with this coffee grinder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Given that I prefer feeding FDABW over beef heart I'll consider this a huge development if I can get them onto it as a staple. I also want them to get on the discus flakes too so I'll definitely try that again soon.
    Last edited by Rolla P; 10-08-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post

Given that I prefer feeding FDABW over beef heart I'll consider this a huge development if I can get them onto it as a staple. I also want them to get on the discus flakes too so I'll definitely try that again soon.
    You will definitely want to add a quality flake food and a small pelleted food to the mix.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

You could also buy the fines from Al. The babies, in about 4-6 weeks or so will progress to the cubes.

Registered Member

I tried the coffee grinded ABW and flake, they didn't take to it at all. So to keep a tally that's a no go on...

1. Decap BBS
    2. Grounded FDABW
    3. Flake grounded into powder

@flyjones3 I'm not sure what "The fines from Al" is. Could you post a link please.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Francis

FYI Baby fish food..Freeze Dried Blackworm Fines 100 grams

https://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/pro...5&categoryId=1

I tried the coffee grinded ABW and flake, they didn't take to it at all. So to keep a tally that's a no go on...

1. Decap BBS
    2. Grounded FDABW
    3. Flake grounded into powder

@flyjones3 I'm not sure what "The fines from Al" is. Could you post a link please.

Cheers.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Hey @seanyuki

The site says to expect orders delays of 6-8 weeks and I don't think they ship to the UK
    Last edited by Rolla P; 10-09-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Perhaps order directly from Australia .

https://www.blackworms.com.au/default.asp

Hey @seanyuki

The site says to expect orders delays of 6-8 weeks and I don't think they ship to the UK
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

11 days free swimming update. In and out of focus but some clear shots mixed into the brief clip.

https://imgur.com/NVvck1j

What do you guys think?

@seanyuki I do have a supplier here in the UK for the same product, just not pre crushed like I did earlier today.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast