ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Registered Member

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It's all down to water quality...Every time. At 4 weeks the fry are larger, eating more and pooping more but it they don't get more WC the dread 4 week syndrome attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Sorry for the short response, but I only have a minute before being log out. Liz and Dan has already answer the major problems. I can add only one other problem that a hobbyist had was his tank was clean but the breeding pair was dirty so he remove the fry in a few days that seem to work. Maybe he should of cleaned up the pair first.

Cliff
    So often times it's a maintenance thing chalked up to the "4 week syndrome" and opposed to an actual parasite/pathogen?

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Question; is 4 week syndrome sometimes as a result of gill fluke infestation? The young fry pick up flukes feeding off the bottom of tanks where the adults carry flukes but are able to tolerate them. The fry succumb as the flukes mature and large quantities of fry die off as a result??
    I thought temp kept gill flukes at bay. It's a topic that I definitely have to look into more.

That aside day 14 update: BBS in the tank and I haven't wiped the outside glass in a few days but hopefully you can still see the changes.

Registered Member

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

So I went to give the female her feed of fdAbw, turned around and saw this new development for the first time.

https://i.imgur.com/BwLQOfF.mp4
    Last edited by Rolla P; 10-13-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Super duper excellent. Those look like healthy well cared for babies.

The 4 week syndrome is a product of parasite ridden parents often coupled with inadequate maintence. In the best of all possible worlds the parents would have been wormed, treated for hex, and treated for flukes prior to breeding and tank maintence would be perfect.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks again Liz for the info.

I have a little bit of an emergency. The female seems to be in some discomfort with the babies picking at her. Is it time to remove her? It's exactly 2 weeks since they went free swimming?

Yes. Remove her. She'll likely eat the kids otherwise. Your babies are doing exceptionally well. They'll do fine without mom.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Wow great video! They are hungry little fish!! Thanks for starting this thread. This has been very educational. What you’ve done is great and the help is outstanding.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yes. Remove her. She'll likely eat the kids otherwise. Your babies are doing exceptionally well. They'll do fine without mom.
    It's really weird experience and I was very apprehensive about the move, but she was being chased by the fry lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Wow great video! They are hungry little fish!! Thanks for starting this thread. This has been very educational. What you’ve done is great and the help is outstanding.
    Thanks you Iminit.

And I agree the help has been outstanding. The babies are definitely being raised via a community effort.

Registered Member

You should be on the beefheart schedule and increase waterchanges.

Cliff

Registered Member

I tried measuring their growth today but that's difficult because A: They don't pose and B: the tank is a bow front so the measurement isn't accurate with curved glass. But I got a measurement of 2.2CM on average.

I'm not sure where that puts me in terms of progress in 18 days. I've read that they should grow by at least 1 inch per month and if that's true I have 10 days to get an additional 3.4 MM. I did a combination of recording and basically following them around the front glass with a tape measure.

blurry screen grab

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    You should be on the beefheart schedule and increase waterchanges.

Cliff
    They're in a 180 bow front filled to 70% capacity so 126L or 33gal. They get over 100% changed via 2 daily water changes of 50-60%

As for the beef heart... I'm just not a fan of it and I'm wondering if FDABW which is almost as high in protein will suffice?
    Last edited by Rolla P; 10-17-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Registered Member

Day 19

Last edited by Rolla P; 10-18-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Day 19

They look great
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    They look great
    Pat
    Hi Pat and thank you.

I am trying my best to grow them out but I'm noticing slight variations in size. Is that a natural occurrence at this stage and if so what would be the cause?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Unfortunately I've noticed that the second spawn from a different pair aren't growing at the same pace?

Same dual sponge filtrater seeded from the same canister filter. Same temp. Same WC schedule. Same food (BBS) and same number of feeds but unfortunately, they haven't grown at the same rate? They're on day 9 of free swimming but in comparison much smaller. I have seen some (6 or so) remain at the same size and look closer to first free swimming.

Is this natural or am I a fault somewhere?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Unfortunately I've noticed that the second spawn from a different pair aren't growing at the same pace?

Same dual sponge filtrater seeded from the same canister filter. Same temp. Same WC schedule. Same food (BBS) and same number of feeds but unfortunately, they haven't grown at the same rate? They're on day 9 of free swimming but in comparison much smaller. I have seen some (6 or so) remain at the same size and look closer to first free swimming.

Is this natural or am I a fault somewhere?
    So strains grow slower then others. What's the strain of the second pair?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    So strains grow slower then others. What's the strain of the second pair?
    Pat
    Same strain "BD" but a different pair that spawned 12 days later.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast