ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Same strain "BD" but a different pair that spawned 12 days later.
    Some other things to consider (based on logic) is health and age of the parent, the parents parenting skills and perhaps the health and vitality of the fry. I am sure Cliff or Willie would have better suggestions then mine.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Re: A thing I hoped but secretly never thought I'd actually see: ATTACHMENT!!!

I pay less attention to speed of growth than I do to over all shape for age. Your babies are fine.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Hey guys

Firstly thanks for taking the time to respond as always. I find myself reading through every grow out/development blog and/or post I an find and the standard seems to be that the fry need to reach an inch within a month and 2.5-3 inches within 3 months. Pair 1's babies are 23 days old (since free swimming) and while there are some slight variations appear on track some are above an inch (in my estimation) already.

Side note, I'm not sure if it's the light or if they're showing faint signs of blue colouration.

Pair 2 have babies that have been free swimming for 12 days but in comparison to pair 1's babies, at 12 days free swimming, look under developed?

I thought there may be an issue despite the fact that I'm following the exact same method for both groups. Perhaps I'm taking too many pictures and instead I should be looking for shape as Liz says...

I guess I need to go digging for a reference point on shape. THat said, they do look pretty round when they flare while eating.

Registered Member

Your Blue Diamond are crossed probably with another solid blue fish. The 1 inch standard are just an estimate for brown, blue, greens, some turoquoise, pigeon. Then their are slower growth rate for true blue diamonds and some albinos. Your Blue Diamonds are growing at a faster rate
    than the true strain blue diamonds because of the crossing(commercialize) for production. Your second pair are sibling of the first pair? The small
    batch might have a higher percentage of BD. I wouldn't worry about the growth rate be what's going on about the clamp finnage.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 10-23-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Your Blue Diamond are crossed probably with another solid blue fish. The 1 inch standard are just an estimate for brown, blue, greens, some turoquoise, pigeon. Then their are slower growth rate for true blue diamonds and some albinos. Your Blue Diamonds are growing at a faster rate
    than the true strain blue diamonds because of the crossing(commercialize) for production. Your second pair are sibling of the first pair? The small
    batch might have a higher percentage of BD. I wouldn't worry about the growth rate be what's going on about the clamp finnage.

Cliff
    Hey Cliff

Thanks for dropping some info. I'm no master of the genetics beyond what strains will and will not pepper. If I'm understanding you right, my BD pair 1, are more commercialized strain due to crossing. Truth be told I had no idea, so thanks for that nugget of info. It has given me a lot to think about and more research to do.

The Second pair are from the same source. A stendker importer to UK I got from contacting Stendker directly. They're all from the that source.

That aside I'm taking to looking at the shape as Liz suggested. Screen grab from a vid day 23

Short vid, they tend to flare mostly over food so I wanted to see what everyone thinks about the shape. They change in daily increments. Yesterday I thought it was due to lighting that I was seeing a slight hue of blue, but today I'm certain there is some colouration.

https://i.imgur.com/yfifRT7.mp4
    Last edited by Rolla P; 10-23-2020 at 09:54 PM.

The overall shape is fine. You have problems with the dorsal fins though. I see blue as well.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The overall shape is fine. You have problems with the dorsal fins though. I see blue as well.

Hi Liz. Please elaborate about the dorsal fin issue.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I think Liz is pointing out the notch where the spiney dorsal rays and the soft rays transition.

Real Name
    Francis

The 9 spikes on the dorsal fin must be an alignment with the form of the fins.The ridge should form a smooth curve and not some longer or some shorter.

914C1B6A-206D-4E7A-A2A6-8F1B236D0055.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Hi Liz. Please elaborate about the dorsal fin issue.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Wouldn't it be prudent to give the fish more time to see if the fins even out?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I think Liz is pointing out the notch where the spiney dorsal rays and the soft rays transition.
    [QUOTE=seanyuki;1348448]The 9 spikes on the dorsal fin must be an alignment with the form of the fins.The ridge should form a smooth curve and not some longer or some shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Wouldn't it be prudent to give the fish more time to see if the fins even out?
    Pat
    Thanks for chiming in guys. I really do appreciate it even if it's potential bad news or flaw...

As I've never done this before, I spend a lot of time pulling from other peoples timelines/development and try to put the disparate parts together as a guideline. FOr example on UK forums there are breeders who only use RO for spawning and quickly transition to tap water which results in a lot of loss. Whereas in comparison other discus keepers in other countries where the parameters are more forgiving have a better "success" rate. Which is why fry size and shape is what I've used to measure the health of the fry and why I didn't see a potential issue.

What appears to be happening is that the smaller fry have the spikes which appear to be more separate/individual. Whereas the larger fry seem to be "unifying" the spikes from the base upwards. Leaving the top of the dorsal more spiky looking but further down more unified. I tried to get a couple of pics of larger fry, during feeding as that's where they tend to flare most.

This is day 25 of free swimming and just looking at the difference between their form factor 10 days ago and today I'm just hoping that the dorsal fin alignment is part of their future development process. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that fry develop differently across strains and genetics. I have seen some discus far larger than mine at the same point in time and others that are miniscule in comparison but at the same age. But thankfully all developed into the beauties we all know this species to be

I do have my arms, legs, fingers, and toes crossed. That it'll sort itself out within the first 3 months.

Here's the male of pair 2, he looks to have a similar spike but when he flares his dorsal is aligned and unified. Under planted T5 LED lighting and a jet black background I'm hoping it's easier to see.

Last edited by Rolla P; 10-26-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456