ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: First breeding attempt failed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Souvik Baitalik

Default First breeding attempt failed

I have one pair which laid eggs two days ago on the main tank glass.I don't have a breeding setup. My tap water ph is 8.1-8.2 and tds is 490 ppm so the eggs didn't hatch. I have a small doubt whether they are an actual pair or both female so I am attaching image for Identification. I have one 55 gallon and one 15 gallon empty tank.which tank will be better for breeding setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: First breeding attempt failed

I'm going to suggest first photo male second photo female. Most of the time I am right but sometimes fooled. The the ph and ppm won't stop the parents from fertilizing the eggs but the water chemistry might stop the eggs from hatching. I'd wait until the entire process plays itself out.

Real Name
    Francis

A 20 gallons is preferable than 15 gallons tank.yr water hardness is very high. Usually a conductivity of about 100 microsiemens or less is recommended for breeding. If the egg turns white within a couple of days, one of two things has occurred. Either the egg wasn't fertilized or your water is too hard, causing the egg to calcify.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Souvik Baitalik

All eggs turned white and after sometimes they ate all eggs. Preparing to move them to a breeding tank. Do I have to keep them In low tds water all time or after they start preparing to breed ? Can I use pure ro water or have to add buffer to prevent ph crash? My ro water has tds of 19 ppm and ph 6.5.is it possible If I keep them in normal tap water and after fertilization If I remove eggs and keep it in different container and after hatching again move them to their parents?