AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cleanup crew

Registered Member

Default Cleanup crew

What types of a cleanup crew do you use?

I'm setting up a 90g tank. I'm not a fan of Corys, so would rather go with snails and shrimp.

Are there any snails and shrimp I should avoid?

It's going to be planted with Rummynose and a few German Blue Rams.
    DT: 90G Marineland / 2 AquaClear 110s / Finnex LED+ 24-7 / 2 - 125W Eheim Jager heaters

Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 20ppm / Ph: 7.4 / kh: 7 / gh: 13

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Re: Cleanup crew

Corys are fine unless you are trying to breed the GBRs, I understand that you may not prefer Corys. Amano Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, Amano Shrimp. I purchase both regular Amano's and XLs. https://aquahuna.com/collections/fre...s/amano-shrimp

Pest snails. After purchasing different snails, all very nice, and having others come in on plants, etc, I am going to let my snails come to their own natural balance unless it is an aquascape display tank that will only have nerites in it.

I would also add Otto's into your clean-up crew.

Registered Member

The two generally accepted as forming a major part of any clean-up crew are Astraea and Trochus.

Real Name
    Tom

Also since it is planted I would get SAE. They can handle the heat and will eat algae. Ottos too. I also have cherry shrimp. But rams will hunt them. Discus not as much.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

My discus hunted and ate cherry shrimp. They also hassled amano shrimp constantly, they now live in my sump...

I like assassin snails, they keep pest snails to a minimum and they will eat the meaty leftovers that discus can't get to or you miss with your siphon.

Bristlenose plecos are a classic but I'm not sure how much they do. In a 90g you would end up with a single mature pair or have constant fighting if you end up with multiple males.