ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy

Default Re: Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    You crack me up Liz and you want some wild type discus? The parents and fry are strong. I will make a video if the parents and their siblings. There is no domestic blood in these puppies however.
    Pat
    If I remember correctly this pair is the number 2 pair as far as quality but I'm not sure if I remember correctly. Actually, my taste in Discus has evolved over the years. More and more I have come to see the special beauty of wilds. I'm not giving up on what I have, but I am slowly becoming disillusioned with them.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If I remember correctly this pair is the number 2 pair as far as quality but I'm not sure if I remember correctly. Actually, my taste in Discus has evolved over the years. More and more I have come to see the special beauty of wilds. I'm not giving up on what I have, but I am slowly becoming disillusioned with them.
    Liz, the parents are the dominant fish in the tank and my favorites within the group. Brian has noticed even with carrying fry the parents keep getting better and better. The other pair I call the red-eyed pair finally confirmed themselves last night but no intentions to raise their babies since I have about 100 fry currently.
    Pat

_D850400.jpg
    _D850318.jpg
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by twocat View Post
    I notice in the videos there is something on the bottomof the tank. Is this a small amount of sand ?
    Hi twocat, it is a thin layer of sand. My tanks are not painted on the bottom.
    Pat

Registered Member

Same trend here. Moving back to what I began with. I do have two hybrid left and they are very nice fish. Pat, great success for you and thanks for the photo updates.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Same trend here. Moving back to what I began with. I do have two hybrid left and they are very nice fish. Pat, great success for you and thanks for the photo updates.
    Thanks Norm

One month old

agreed, too much of a good thing IMHO, but to each their own.

Real Name
    Pat

For the folks who have expressed an interest in the red eyed pair. This video shows both pairs, the parents of the fry who are in the left-hand side of the tank and the red eyed pair on the right-hand side of the tank. Both pairs are spawning lol and there are four fish stuck in the middle.

Real Name
    Jake

Pat,

That group looks amazing, and it seems like you've got some great parents there! Truly a master to have two groups spawning at the same time.

I love seeing the protective nature of the wilds, their behavior is a bit different from my group. Due to a lot of breeding behavior in my aquarium, I had to recently redo the aquascape to try and separate the "breeding" territories. I had two pairs who were fighting over rights to one specific place where they both wanted to lay their eggs. I've changed everything up and now have a scape that I feel is more open for the fish, plus well separated so they can pick and choose which territory they want best. I'll have to post an update in my journal soon - I personally like the new scape a lot better!

Well done!

P.S. You're making me jealous. I've been wanting to breed my group to see if I could, but the wife and I have plans to move in the next year and I'd like to create a more permanent space before I go down that venture. For now, I'll just enjoy watching the group spawn and then make the eggs disappear after a few days.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Wow Pat, they're all amazing, but the bright blue halo inside the black halo on the red eyed female is so eye catching...what a stunning fish! Actually looking twice the yellow eyed female gas it too but it's more pronounced on the red eye girl, maybe it's the lighting but wow 8)..

I like the red eye girl, too. Look at that shape, and the halo is simply stunning.

Pat, your videos are as excellent your stills, which are as excellent as your fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Pat,

That group looks amazing, and it seems like you've got some great parents there! Truly a master to have two groups spawning at the same time.

I love seeing the protective nature of the wilds, their behavior is a bit different from my group. Due to a lot of breeding behavior in my aquarium, I had to recently redo the aquascape to try and separate the "breeding" territories. I had two pairs who were fighting over rights to one specific place where they both wanted to lay their eggs. I've changed everything up and now have a scape that I feel is more open for the fish, plus well separated so they can pick and choose which territory they want best. I'll have to post an update in my journal soon - I personally like the new scape a lot better!

Well done!

P.S. You're making me jealous. I've been wanting to breed my group to see if I could, but the wife and I have plans to move in the next year and I'd like to create a more permanent space before I go down that venture. For now, I'll just enjoy watching the group spawn and then make the eggs disappear after a few days.
    Thanks Jake and definitely wait until you are in your new space before breeding. It really helps to separate a breeding pair into a new tank so they can raise their fry in peace. Update your journal so I can see your new scape
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Wow Pat, they're all amazing, but the bright blue halo inside the black halo on the red eyed female is so eye catching...what a stunning fish! Actually looking twice the yellow eyed female gas it too but it's more pronounced on the red eye girl, maybe it's the lighting but wow 8)..
    Thank you Danny, the gold eyed female also the has the bright blue halo but she did not offer a position to show that during the video. I tried to pair the red eyed female with the royal male but he only had eyes for the gold eyed female. Go figure...fish politics lol
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-08-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

I like the red eye girl, too. Look at that shape, and the halo is simply stunning.

Pat, your videos are as excellent your stills, which are as excellent as your fish.
    Thank you Liz and yes, she is a gorgeous fish. She and her mate have confirmed themselves on their last spawn.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Six weeks old now. I have make some changes to the tank. Removed most of the sand and added air. I was and still in a bit getting some zombie fry. Cary thinks I was feeding too much BBS so I have reduced that. Trying to introduce flake and the fry are eating live blackworms.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It's been 6 weeks?! Time flies...they look great mate

Pat can you explain what a zombie fry is for me please?

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast