ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheres the best and least expensive place to buy an acrylic tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Default Wheres the best and least expensive place to buy an acrylic tank?

So far the best and cheapest place I found to buy an acrylic tank is Dream Fish Tanks but the 55 gallon tank from Clear for Life is 530.00, alot of money. Does anyone know of a better deal then that. Also my Discus dealer said no need to age water for water changes, just put in some Prime, fill the tank and you are good to go.Can anyone help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank You, Anthony

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Wheres the best and least expensive place to buy an acrylic tank?

Mine are clear for life. Though I’m looking at a place in Pennsylvania called acrylic creations now at there stuff. Nice looking product but shipping will be high. Where are you located?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Aging your water is a must if you have a pH swing greater than 0.2 in either direction from what comes out of the tap and after it is gassed off. Check your pH right out of tap, then fill a 5 gallon bucket, heat to tank temp and aerate for 24 hours. If the change is great than 0.2 you need to age you water so as to not stress out your precious discus. If you do not need to age atm I would recommend rechecking by doing the same process as the seasons change as municipalities can change there process and delivery pressures etc which can significantly change your service water parameters. Micro bubbles can make your discus sick also, aging your water gets all the extra gasses out of the water before it goes into your tank.
    It really is a very easy process to age water, and I recommend you do it for the sake of your discus anyway.
    Who is your "discus dealer"? Is discus the focus of this supplier? If not, I would not take his/her advice, and ask all your questions here. Lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks will direct to success here on SD!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 10-03-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Anthony, it is really important to age your water. On the acrylic tank try craiglist and FB Market Place. A little patience can yield you a nice acrylic used tank for a lot less money.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Thanks, i've been searching those sites,no luck yet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

hes a local guy. gets his discus from Malaysia and also breeds them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Thanks Second Hand, I have been visiting those sites with no luck yet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Anthony, it is really important to age your water. On the acrylic tank try craiglist and FB Market Place. A little patience can yield you a nice acrylic used tank for a lot less money.
    Pat
    Thanks for the info Pat.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Mine are clear for life. Though I’m looking at a place in Pennsylvania called acrylic creations now at there stuff. Nice looking product but shipping will be high. Where are you located?
    Myrtle Beach

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Aging your water is a must if you have a pH swing greater than 0.2 in either direction from what comes out of the tap and after it is gassed off. Check your pH right out of tap, then fill a 5 gallon bucket, heat to tank temp and aerate for 24 hours. If the change is great than 0.2 you need to age you water so as to not stress out your precious discus. If you do not need to age atm I would recommend rechecking by doing the same process as the seasons change as municipalities can change there process and delivery pressures etc which can significantly change your service water parameters. Micro bubbles can make your discus sick also, aging your water gets all the extra gasses out of the water before it goes into your tank.
    It really is a very easy process to age water, and I recommend you do it for the sake of your discus anyway.
    Who is your "discus dealer"? Is discus the focus of this supplier? If not, I would not take his/her advice, and ask all your questions here. Lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks will direct to success here on SD!
    He's a local guy here in Myrtle Beach, gets his Discus from Malaysia and also breeds them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

Whats a better size for a Discus tank, a 36 inch 50 gallon or a 48 inch 55 gallon?

Real Name
    Tom

How about a 48” 90g . Of those 2 get the 55. Check out offerup by me there’s a 55 clear for life with stand for $200 and a few 50’s for the same price.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Anthony Celi

How about a 48” 90g . Of those 2 get the 55. Check out offerup by me there’s a 55 clear for life with stand for $200 and a few 50’s for the same price.
    Hey Tom, Thats an unbelievable deal, where are you located so I know what offer up site to go on.

Registered Member

if you want a clear for life look at the oetsmart website.
    Just got my acrylic tank from American Aquatics in Pennsylvania - price includes shipping and real wood stand. Had to wait almost 4 months though

Real Name
    TONY

I believe PETCO's acrylic brand 'SEA CLEAR' might be a little less expensive. If you're not dead set on acrylic you might consider a glass 55g for now & plan for a larger more expensive acrylic or glass custom setup later. Just a thought. https://glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2 -- https://www.customaquariums.com/maje...-30x72x18.html "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast