Jay

Default Re: using aqua bid

What are you trying to do, buy or sell?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Hi Liz
    Thank you for replying.
    I'm thinking of getting back into either guppies or bettas.
    I have raised show winners in both and I'm looking to buy
    good stock, which ones I'm not sure yet.
    Could use any help I can get.
    Jay

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

The User Interface is archaetic, not current at all. I hate to have to login repeatedly. I would suggest spending some time exploring the site as it is as some of the offerings are sweet.

Real Name
    Willie

As someone who has wasted a lot of money on Aquabid, here's what I've learned. Like everything else, you need to know something about the buyer. I do keep high end guppies and here's what I know.

1. Stay away from any international sellers. I know of not a single person who ever had success with getting high quality fish. You'll get guppies, but nothing like what is in the picture. Only after you win the bid do they tell you to pay locals extra charges for transshipment.

2. Everybody else claims that they sell show winners. I've attended a few International Fancy Guppy Association meetings because they're located in the Midwest. It's a small group so you get to meet everyone. Currently, the only winning breeders who are selling on Aquabid is the father/son Mousseaus. They both sell as QUALITYGUPPIES101 and they're expensive. But that's what high end guppies mean. The other show winners must have been from a previous century!

3. If you MUST buy from an unknown seller, I recommend you send them an email via Aquabid beforehand and ask some questions, e.g. the temperature, the pH, the KH, the feed regimen, etc. The kind of answers you get, if any, will tell you a lot of about whether they care about the fish. Some of them are businesses, i.e. The Wet Pet, so the answers may be slow in coming, but they'll stand behind the fish. Mostly though, they are just hobbyists.

Never ordered bettas though. If I were doing that, I'd rather pick out those fish by eye. Good luck.
    At my age, everything is irritating.