ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Finding Wild Discus A Home

Registered Member

Default Finding Wild Discus A Home (Free)

I have three wild discus fish (1 blue face Heckel and 2 wild Greens). They have been with me for more than 1.5 years and still live happily in a bare-bottom tank. These are my only wild discus ever owned. I have never lost any wild discus probably due to all the knowledge learned from this website and knowledgeable fish vets.

Due to my study, I have to move to San Francisco from Columbus, Ohio. It is not feasible to bring the fish with me as I have to settle down first. Therefore, I would like to find my fish an experienced and responsible hobbyist (Free Fish for the Correct Person).

1. All three fish are about 5-6 inch.
    2. Those fish have been dewormed by Metro, Prazi and Levamisole HCL. I used both bath and oral administration in food. When I first got the fish last year June, they underwent a 3-month quarantine.
    3. I have never ever fed them with live food. They eat homemade beef heart mixture only. Occasionally, I also give them Tropical Wild Discus Food Pellets as treat.
    4. I perform daily water change after feeding (35% water). My 40-gallon bare-bottom tank has a Tetra Pond UV (9W) and a 7W UV from a large canister filter. A little bit overkill, I guess. I try to keep the water clean and sterile to compensate for the high Ph (See below).
    5. I do not see any issue for them to live in Columbus aged tap water which has ph=7.3 and TDS=200-300. However, I do believe that they will look gorgeous in soft acidic water.

In short, I care about my fish and hope to find them a safe and proper home. Please contact me for more info.

I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by WildDiscusHD; 10-05-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: Finding Wild Discus A Home

If you are willing to ship I'm sure you would have lots of people here wanting them including me. I would dote on them and perhaps use them in my breeding project which has a domestic RSG behind it if your wilds found my domestics acceptables.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I'm not sure how often Bud Smith is on the site but he is an experienced discus guy and lives along I-75 in mid Ohio somewhere about 100mi nth of Cinci. Perhaps send him a PM to see if he can accommodate your wilds. I live in Cinci but don't have a tank option for them unfortunately.

I liv e in North Ridgeville, Ohio 44039 would be glad to take them off your hands. e-mail me at pearlsjim@yahoo.com Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Thank you for replies from all. I have NOT responded to your messages. I will do that soon. Just want to add some photos taken today.
    As you can see, the Heckel changes its color very frequently from green to blue to pinkish. The greens demonstrate their bars from now and then. They are fighty by the way.
    Last edited by WildDiscusHD; 10-07-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Registered Member