AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 2 Canisters on a 90 gallon

Default 2 Canisters on a 90 gallon

I have a 90 gallon tank with 8 Discus and 2 gold nugget plecos in it. I had to break down tank as I’m getting a new floor installed. An FluvalFX5 and 2 Aqua Clear 110s were filtering it. Plenty of water movement so didn’t need any air stones. Was thinking of replacing 2 AC filters with another Fluval canister when I set the tank up again. Maybe a FX4. I like to over filter my tanks. And the ACs are kind of loud as they’re old filters. Plus I’d like to place the tank closer to the wall too. Can’t do that with the ACs. Would that be ok. Or do I really need the hang on back filters.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Re: 2 Canisters on a 90 gallon

I don't think that you need a hang on back filter, I run a 75 and 68 with two canister filters for each having at least one of the filters have intake that includes a skimmer is helpful.

Thanks. Just have to shop around for a new Fluval FX4 now.

Real Name
    Tom

Wait for Black Friday. Much cheaper at petsmart. I like the hobs better than the canisters. On my 90 I’m running a marineland 350 and a tidal 100. The marineland is older and making noise but the tidal is pretty quit. On m 125 I’ve got an fx6 and a filtered powerhead. Both are quiet.

Real Name
    TONY

Have 2 of each on my 125g. Guess like anything it's a matter of choice. I've run this way for quite a few years without major issue. A motor here or an impeller there but nothing serious. The over filtration gives me great flexibility. I think the best part is when I need to set up another tank for separation or quarantine, I just take one of the A/C 500's off the 125g & put it right on the 29g or 55g. No muss no fuss. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member

I don't like using HOB''s on anything larger than a 10 or 20 gal, but that's me. Your FX5 holds more media than 6 of those HOB's, and I hope your not using those cartridges they want to sell you. If you are and want something far better and cheaper shoot me a pm. I also over filtrate everything so the FX4 is a no brainer for me or even a SunSun. I'm not a SunSun fan boy boy but they do a lot for the price. All of mine have gotten loud over time and are only used in tanks with cabinets below that are easy to soundproof. The best option for FX's is Marketplace and Craigslist. People jump into this hobby, spend a fortune, but never learn the biology and in a month or two the credit card is max'D out, everything in the tank is dead and now the family wants a dog, lol!!! I buy most all my tanks and equipment this way. I have 2 FX 6 filters like brand new for $100 each and an FX4 for $75. Kind of makes the SunSun pointless, to me any way. Yes moving one HOB to another small tank is an easy and fast way to get a cycle going. But I had my 220 completely cycled in a week with 125 Cardinals and other Rainbows and community fish by moving media from a FX6 to the sump on the 220 and it only took a few extra minutes. Good filtration can be done many ways and they all work, we all need to find what works for us, right? God Bless
    NCH
    220 gal Planted Discus Tank, Large Sump and FX6,Tank Temp 86, Light Beamswork 6500K
    75 Gal Rainbow & Angel Planted Tank,FX4, Temp 80 , Light Finnex 24/7
    40 gal Acrylic Hex Electric Blue Acara Planted Tank, SunSun 303B with UV,Temp 80, Light Finnex 24/7