ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 3 spawns in 9 days?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default 3 spawns in 9 days?

Hello! This is my first post so I’d just like to say what a wonderful resource that SD has been for me on my new journey with Discus. Leaning into this has been a great diversion lately (more of an obsession my wife would say). Most evenings I’m poring through the forums trying to learn as much as I can. I’m not new to fishkeeping, just to discus.

So, I recently purchased 5 discus from Kenny and my original plan was to grow them out in a 50 gallon BB tank. Then move them to my main DT which is a 110 gallon with a few Geo Tapajos and some cardinals. I have 2 Red Tiger Turquoise, 2 Blue carnations and a Virgin Red. All about 4-4.5”.
    Right away the Red Tigers and Blue carnations we’re very hostile to each other so I got nervous and moved the 2 RTs to my main tank, in which I’ve been doing 3 - 40% WCs weekly. It has a 30 gallon sump so is well filtered and established. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5, very soft water, PH is about 7.2 after aging. Temp is 83-84. I age the water in a barrel for 24 to 48 hours, then treat with prime before the WC.

Recently, the 2 RTs seem to have paired up, maybe? I’ve seen 3 different batches of eggs in the last 9 days, each of which last about a day before they’re eaten. They are laying eggs on the vertical overflow in the back of the tank. Is this typical for this size discus? I’m really not trying to breed them, just want them to grow out. I’m feeding them Frozen bloodworms, mysis and brine shrimp, and occasionally frozen beef heart. They are fed 4 times a day and wait eagerly for me at the top.
    I realize I have a lot to learn so appreciate any advice.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: 3 spawns in 9 days?

IMO yr discus 4-4.5" ins are about 5-6.5 months old.....not mature yet for breeding.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

seanyuki, that was my thought too. Is there anything I can do to prevent or at least not encourage them to lay eggs? Or is that just what they do?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Anyone? Is this anything to worry about?? Thanks.