AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Laid Eggs Today!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Default Discus Laid Eggs Today!

Hey Everyone,

Bought my first batch of Discus in August from Kenny. I bought 6 beautiful Discus -- Raising them in a 75 gallon planted tank. Something incredibly unexpected happened today after my water change. Two of my discus laid eggs!
    PXL_20201010_230732522.jpg

I was not expecting this whatsoever as I bought them at 3.5-4 inches for all 6. However, I have been feeding them 3-4 times a day with beef heart, myosis shrimp, hikari vibra bites, and bloodworms. I have absolutely zero experience in breeding discus but I do have experience in breeding angelfish. There are similarities from what I can see immediately.

Another thing to note is I'm incredibly lucky to have two of the same type breed with each other. I bought 6 discus, 2 Leopard Ring Gene, 2 Super Red Snakeskin, and 2 Blue Tiger Turquoise. It looks like I got a male and female blue tiger turquoise which is insanely lucky in my opinion.

I'd be open to any advice -- I don't think this batch will be successful due to where it's located -- and it's in my display tank at the moment. However, I do plan on moving this pair to my 20 gallon breeding tank in the coming weeks. Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Discus Laid Eggs Today!

Congratulations! Very pretty pair. Still looks like they have plenty of growing to do but just my opinion, I'd say leaving there until they finally have a spawn where the majority of the eggs are fertilized. Just to make sure your mail it's to the point where he's not shooting blanks anymore. At the same time, doesn't hurt moving them to the 20 if you really want to
    -Elliot

Registered Member

That is beautiful, and congratulations for having that new born.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Pretty pair!

Registered Member

Congrats. It's always a beautiful sight. What is the tds of your tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Congratulations! Very pretty pair. Still looks like they have plenty of growing to do but just my opinion, I'd say leaving there until they finally have a spawn where the majority of the eggs are fertilized. Just to make sure your mail it's to the point where he's not shooting blanks anymore. At the same time, doesn't hurt moving them to the 20 if you really want to
    Thank you! I agree. I have only had them for 2 months. They ended up laying eggs again so I think I can confirm they're at least a confirmed breeding pair. I will probably let them grow out more before moving them to a 20 gallon to try for some baby discus.

Quote Originally Posted by Moreetta View Post
    That is beautiful, and congratulations for having that new born.
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Pretty pair!
    One of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolla P View Post
    Congrats. It's always a beautiful sight. What is the tds of your tank?
    Sorry for the delayed response! Haven't been on the forums as often lately. tds: 250 ppm+/-

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Theioz View Post
    Thank you! I agree. I have only had them for 2 months. They ended up laying eggs again so I think I can confirm they're at least a confirmed breeding pair. I will probably let them grow out more before moving them to a 20 gallon to try for some baby discus.

Thank you so much!

One of my favorites.

Sorry for the delayed response! Haven't been on the forums as often lately. tds: 250 ppm+/-
    I don't want to be a downer but just because they laid eggs does not mean they are a confirmed pair. Two females can lay eggs together. How big was the spawn? Did you actually see any of the eggs get fertilized? Did you get to see their breeding tubes?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I don't want to be a downer but just because they laid eggs does not mean they are a confirmed pair. Two females can lay eggs together. How big was the spawn? Did you actually see any of the eggs get fertilized? Did you get to see their breeding tubes?
    Hey Ricardo, totally understandable. Thanks to my experience from breeding Angelfish, I believe it's one male and female. The eggs were fertilized and their breeding tubes fit the description of a male and a female.