AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about acrylic tanks.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Some questions about acrylic tanks.

I own a few acrylic tanks but don’t really know much about them. I know they are stronger and lighter than glass. I know they scratch easier but that’s livable. I’m looking for a new one and a larger tank. But I’m kind of caught here. 2 of my tanks are clear for life. Both tanks I’m very happy with. Even with scratches they are very clear with water in them. My new is actually old. It’s a tenacore 75. And with its acrylic stand I would date this tank at about 20 yrs old. It came with some bad scratches but I was able to get them out and for the $150 I spent on it I’m happy.

Now being in the market again I’m looking for a 6’ tank. A 135 or 165 or 180. All options are expensive. My problem is at these sizes the 2 standard companys are using 3/8 acrylic. That’s sea clear and clear for life. All the custom company’s are using 1/2 to 3/4. But they can take months to make and not so sure how good they are. Nothing local so would need to get it shipped. The company I was looking at just got a pretty bad review. Kind of like there going out of business and just sent something out even though it’s wrong. The buyer had paid for this tank months ago. Not really liking this idea. Especially now with things as they are.

So I saw this for sale and I’m wondering if it’s worth it. 125 used with crazing. Everything I’ve read on crazing is pretty much nothing. Mixed info but most say no problem. So here’s a pic of the tank. 2E8A4331-655A-4A36-BCBE-3051A9DDB336.jpg92D92F8C-DD77-493C-81D5-1D304EC25173.jpg price is right. Could use it till I find something better. Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Default Re: Some questions about acrylic tanks.

If that is on the bottom, and it looks like it is, I would just get a piece of acrylic and patch that with some Weld-On.
    Do those cracks go all the way thru or just surface?
    What is that from?

Real Name
    Tom

Yes it the bottom. Now would you just glue the patch over the craze? Would it be needed in side and outside. Haven’t seen it yet. So not sure.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes it the bottom. Now would you just glue the patch over the craze? Would it be needed in side and outside. Haven’t seen it yet. So not sure.
    I would do a 1/4" patch over the inside only.
    That is what I used on my acrylic tank that had actual cracks in it.
    So far no problems with that that at all.

Can you feel this defect on the outside?
    I so, then I would do the outside as well.

Be sure to make the patch wide enough.
    Just in case any of that decides to travel.
    And used plenty of Weld-on.
    That stuff evaporates so excess is not a problem.

And you already know this but I am going to say it anyway.
    Make sure to use a pad under the tank.
    I like to use camping sleep mats that are grey.
    Very cheap on amazon.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 10-11-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Vinny I’ve been reading what’s out there on google. Seems mostly salt water forums. But it does seem like the pad is not recommended. I don’t have pads under any of mine. Not that I was told not to just I’d never heard of them. Does seem like the acrylics can take a lot more than the glass. Even as to level they say they can be up to 1/4” off because of flex. Mine started out level but as they were filled they went off. Only one is really still level. But again mine are all 3/8” acrylic.
    Will take a look at this tank tomorrow. It’s cheap enough to take the gamble. Will fill it and leave outside for a while to make sure the crazing doesn’t spread. Just thinking of using it temporarily till I can find something better.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok so I picked up the tank. The craze is not going through on either side. Havnt filled it yet cause it’s raining here. The whole spot is about 2” long by 1/2” wide. Would a 4” patch of 1/4 acrylic be good? I. Thinking just on the inside.Where would I get the acrylic and the weld-on stuff? The tank.51F1EB84-5F1D-45E3-8A90-B3C530A5CBDE.jpg549A1F6D-4486-4906-8F85-1FEF433FB559.jpgE3301C04-F336-4063-8E5E-EF6E4484FA78.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Looks good man
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Ok so I picked up the tank. The craze is not going through on either side. Havnt filled it yet cause it’s raining here. The whole spot is about 2” long by 1/2” wide. Would a 4” patch of 1/4 acrylic be good? I. Thinking just on the inside.Where would I get the acrylic and the weld-on stuff? The tank.51F1EB84-5F1D-45E3-8A90-B3C530A5CBDE.jpg549A1F6D-4486-4906-8F85-1FEF433FB559.jpgE3301C04-F336-4063-8E5E-EF6E4484FA78.jpg
    Nice tank!
    Yes 4" should be just fine.
    Search for a plastic supply store near you.
    Do you have a TAP Plastic in your town?

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Vinnie I will look into that. It came with a home made stand. So I put it on the stand and filled it 50%. The stand is just a trim stand with no center piece of wood. So I emptied it and added a wood base and filled it about 60% will leave overnight and if good fill tomorrow.15D3E4A0-14B7-4537-8734-41C106341336.jpg

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Thanks Vinnie I will look into that. It came with a home made stand. So I put it on the stand and filled it 50%. The stand is just a trim stand with no center piece of wood. So I emptied it and added a wood base and filled it about 60% will leave overnight and if good fill tomorrow.15D3E4A0-14B7-4537-8734-41C106341336.jpg
    They did a great job building that stand.

You sure do find some great buys on acrylic tanks!

Real Name
    Ricardo

just to add my 2 cents, I always had a pad under my 75g acrylic tank. I had no issues with it but I'm sure many will say they do not have issues with NOT running a pad under them as well. In the end, I think you'll be fine either way.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Tom

Ok she’s full now . Going on 3 days. Hope to leave it outside for another week. One side had a bunch of scratches on the outside. I worked on them and they look better. But some were deep.867F392D-7D9E-4A13-89C1-C02D3CD1D904.jpgA33429A5-70C2-455D-8261-5476D530A61D.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Most people pay attention the front anyways. Looks great m8
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

I noticed the "Clarity Plus" sticker in the lower right corner. I have a 100 gallon Clarity Plus since 1988, and it still is good as ever. I believe they are out of business long ago, but their tanks were obviously well made.
    Richard

Real Name
    Tom

Yes it seems these acrylics last awhile. Still haven’t found anything on them breaking or leaking. Some of the privately made ones have had problems but most of these are all right. I believe sea-clear may have bought Clarity Plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast