AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Gyre Cross Flow Wavemaker and Discus, need some advice, Thanks

Registered Member

Default Gyre Cross Flow Wavemaker and Discus, need some advice, Thanks

Ok, I've been keeping all kinds of fish for 30 plus years. I'm finally setting up my DREAM TANK. It's a 220 gal with dual overflows, about a 35 gal acrylic sump underneath, wet/dry drip tray over sheets of foam, for mechanical and some bio, about 8 lbs of Bio Home Ultimate fully submerged under the foam, then heaters and finally to the Jebao 12,000 return pump. Plus an FX6 with intake and return in the same overflow. Yes, over filtration, just the way I like it, lol!!! FX6 has factory outer foam, center chambers filled with fine sponges and at least 5lbs more of Bio Home Ultimate that is well seasoned from other tanks.

I paid Universal Rocks a fortune for a custom background made to fit around the overflows. I've always wanted a tank where all equipment is hidden and this was going to be it. The Aqeon overflows have intakes in the overflows down low, middle and upper areas of the tank. I'm running the return pump about 40% to 50%, which balances everything perfect. My problem is, I'm getting to much cap settling on top of the black sand substrate that should be going into the overflows. Let me also say, this is my first tank this large, first sump and I plan on keeping Discus which is also a first.

The tank is a planted tank that currently has about 60 Cardinal Tetras, and 4 Roslin Sharks about 4 inches. I will have 6 to 8 Discus arriving later in the week. I only see a few choices, I gravel vac every couple days to get this stuff out, I can get a couple circulation pumps and direct the flow so the waste goes into the overflows, but this kills the no equipment visible, that I was wanting. Last choice is to use a Gyre Cross Flow pump. At least mount up at the top with no wires hanging down in the tank. They make a full circle of waterflow, even in a tank the size of mine. This would help keep the stuff suspended so the overflows can pick them up. My question is, will the Discus tolerate such water movement? I have seen some that say yes and others say the stress will kill them. What do y'all think? The pump is highly adjustable so I would think I can get it tuned where everyone's happy. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide you with as much info as possible. Thanks and God Bless.
    NCH

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Gyre Cross Flow Wavemaker and Discus, need some advice, Thanks

I would only run the gyre on a timer for a short time daily .
    I have the Jeboa large and small gyre and they really move water ..
    I don't use the gyres in with my discus ,they are in my reef [120] and my DT in living room [ 180 ] .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Yes, I should have mentioned this in the original post. I was thinking 3 20 to 30 min sessions a day would be enough and of course the flow rate would be adjusted so it's not an F5 inside the tank. I'm not trying to avoid doing the gravel vac, it's something I do to every tank once a week during the water change. I think I will order one and see how it does. If anyone has one for sale send me a PM. Thanks for the reply.
    NCH

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I have two hydor wavemakers that run for 2h each day and they sweep most of the stuff off the sand and into the overflow. I use an eheim battery vacuum to suck up the rest and the sump pump for water changes. It works well for me.

A vortex wavemaker/s might give you the wireless look you are looking for.

Real Name
    Tom

Here is a video I made of the gyre in my 120 before it was set up !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Thanks for the vid. Was this at full power? I know they move a lot of water compared to the typical WaveMaker and they also have different patterns of flow. This looks to be on one of those but I'm still shocked the 40 moved that much water in a 120, even if it is tall. I think I'm going to order a size lower for the 220, so thanks for that vid. My tank is the full 6ft long and on the "constant" pattern and with the power reduced for a few short runs each day it should do what I need. Are you keeping Discus in that 120?
    NCH