ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Will they ever accept Rummynose?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Pete Gibb

Default Will they ever accept Rummynose?

I had 12 discus most 6 inchers in my 450 gallon. When I added 30 Rummynose into the tank, within a day or so all but one of Rummynose was dead in the overflows with their tails missing. I am surmising that they were viewed as food by the discus.

I now have 17 discus in the tank, adding 5 pretty big ones (6+ inches). I can't find any large size Rummynose (near 2 inches). Is there any way to "introduce" the Rummynose into the tank without the being viewed as food? I read in a post on this board, that said put them in a breeder net for a bit, so the discus views them as part of the tank and they might not attack them.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by ptgb; 10-12-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Will they ever accept Rummynose?

I seldom lose rummynose tetras to predation. Instead, they always end up in my drain during large water changes. The inverse is true for cardinals and emperor tetras, which are irresistable to my discus.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Will they ever accept Rummynose?

Try putting the rummys in a breeding container(hooked on edge of tank) or large net of some type and let them eat the food the discus are eating. About a whole day. This seems to work well for me. Once the rummys take on the scent of the tank, they are not fresh meat anymore. Feed the discus before releasing the rummys in the tank. Lights out. Won't hurt to try it.