ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Can discus babies when they get older ever share a tank with their parents?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martha

Default Can discus babies when they get older ever share a tank with their parents?

I am new to the forum so will explain what is happening. I have limited room and currently split a 4 footer with a handmade partition made out of thick frosted Perspex. I drilled some holes so water can pass through from the larger side, but put stocking covered sponge in the holes. I was thinking once the babies are eating regular food I can open the holes and pop some food in on the larger side and they can just swim on through, but the parents are way too big to do that. Then block off the holes again. There are two large canister filters one on each side and the tank is a paludarium, although there is only a couple of plants in there at the moment. There are also two minipats with sponge feeding to the vegetation above, almost a type of green wall. The tank and that area is very well established as it has been going for way over a year. I have been in the fish hobby a very long time, so I knew this would provide much needed nitrate illimitation to the system. I have kept discus in the past and that is all I was planning to do this time as well, but I ended up with a great pair of patterned cobalt blues. The rest of the discus's were sold off. The only other inhabitants are on the larger side and are 6 Sterbai Cory, was planning to get a couple L333 pleco's down the track. I would really like to know if the babies could live with the parents again once they reach a certain age in a school type way? I would also like to know what age that is as well. Also, my pair have been breeding for the past 3 months constantly. I know they are young, so inexperienced. That is why I partitioned it off. I found that the wigglers would get lost in such a big tank, but last time they attached well, but mother ate them grrrr. BTW, I have extra fine akadama substrate which buffers my Sydney, Australia water from 7.4 to 6.4. Would the lower ph cause them to constantly breed? I know it's a good thing, but think they deserve a break eventually, especially because they lay soooo many eggs each time and most of them survive to wigglers. I also learned that light colored women's stockings over the sponge filter stops them mistaking it for a parent. The parents are very dark blue while on wigglers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I have never cared for a breeding pair before. No one knows everything! Here is a photo of what I'm working with. Sorry, the rack is a bit of mess at the moment. Planning to do something nicer with the electricals once I figure out where I want things to go. The paludarium went from a discus community tank to just a discus and Sterbai Cory tank. I am planning on getting a bigger tank in the future as my kids just moved out. Yippie!121242348_1256372448074618_1001713450437240780_n.jpg
    Last edited by MotherOfFishies; 10-13-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Can discus babies when they get older ever share a tank with their parents?

Hi Martha and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are asking when the fry can be reintroduced back with the parents? I am not sure if anyone has done that but do see where people buy juvie discus and mix them with their adults. I think the juvies are generally in the 3 to 3.5 inch range. I think most here would recommend placing the fry in a growout situation which generally consists of a bare bottom tank with a couple of sponge filters. You would feed the fry many times a day and do large daily water changes.

Love the paludarium look
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening