ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent. Breeding pair in agony

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default Urgent. Breeding pair in agony

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

A 10 days ago I bought and received in good conditions one spotted leopard pair from one good German source (Thirsday). Previously I prepared the breeding tank as I always prepare for other breeding pairs. The pair was swimming well, after 1 or 2 days they were starting to eat and addapt very well, I did 40% WC on Saturday and another on Monday. after Monday they started with fins clamped hiding behind the cone. On Wednesday I did other WC and they suddenly started to get darken, loosing colour of skin, with patches,cotton velvet, fins rot, cloudy eyes. Almost to die. Water parameters were good the same as other breeding tanks with the same WC.
    I thought that maybe something toxic in the water, than I bought the gallons of water from store and mixed with Ro. I did WC every 8 hours.The situations were getting worse and worse. I put them in other aquarium for a while (from which I removed other happy pair) thinking that maybe something special was in other tank.
    Yesterday I put the eSHA 2000 to see whether are bacteria. Now is on 24 hours treatment. Still alive and not getting worse.
    Please help if you know what is it. Looking on google could be Columnaris. Has paches of collourless skin and velvet.
    Can Columnaris make the symptoms so quickly in literally 2 or 3 days?
    Anybody had the same case?

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Esha 2000, I am on 1st day of treatment

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    Breeding pair, 30g acuarium. Fishes 15cm each

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Every second day 50% of WC

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Aging the waste water from Ro for 2-3 days

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 28oC

- ph 7,2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water (Ro waste) 10%

- RO water 90%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    New breeding pair

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    twice beefheart

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default Re: Urgent. Breeding pair in agony

More pic of the discus. I did 75% WC with other day of the esha treatment. No changes. They do not worsen not go better.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

A 10 days ago I bought and received in good conditions one spotted leopard pair from one good German source (Thirsday). Previously I prepared the breeding tank as I always prepare for other breeding pairs. The pair was swimming well, after 1 or 2 days they were starting to eat and addapt very well, I did 40% WC on Saturday and another on Monday. after Monday they started with fins clamped hiding behind the cone. On Wednesday I did other WC and they suddenly started to get darken, loosing colour of skin, with patches,cotton velvet, fins rot, cloudy eyes. Almost to die. Water parameters were good the same as other breeding tanks with the same WC.
    I thought that maybe something toxic in the water, than I bought the gallons of water from store and mixed with Ro. I did WC every 8 hours.The situations were getting worse and worse. I put them in other aquarium for a while (from which I removed other happy pair) thinking that maybe something special was in other tank.
    Yesterday I put the eSHA 2000 to see whether are bacteria. Now is on 24 hours treatment. Still alive and not getting worse.
    Please help if you know what is it. Looking on google could be Columnaris. Has paches of collourless skin and velvet.
    Can Columnaris make the symptoms so quickly in literally 2 or 3 days?
    Anybody had the same case?

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Esha 2000, I am on 1st day of treatment

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    Breeding pair, 30g acuarium. Fishes 15cm each

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Every second day 50% of WC

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Aging the waste water from Ro for 2-3 days

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 28oC

- ph 7,2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water (Ro waste) 10%

- RO water 90%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    New breeding pair

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    twice beefheart

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.[/QUOTE]

More pic of the discus. I did 75% WC with other day of the esha treatment. No changes. They do not worsen not go better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your test kit must be out of date if all your values are 0. Buy a new test kit. In the mean time change more water and add salt 5 tablespoons per 10 gallons.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Now is on the treatment and it is difficult to measure. I have already put this quantity of salt. Female is already dying. Searching in the history of this forum everything is pointing to Columnaris. It seams that these fishes coming to new environment lowered their defences. I do not have here any antibiotic to treat .
    I am loosing them...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Maracyn 2 seems that is efficient treatment but have to wait to get it.

It looked like columnaris but I've never seen it develop so fast. They looked too far gone to handle antibiotics so I suggested the salt. I use Furan II for Columnaris. I'm sorry that your fish look like they will die. I still think that something must be wrong with your test kit.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

The water was the same as for other discus. In the previous discussion the members explained that can be very quickly. I was suprised that it was so quick. I thought it is something toxic in the water (this 10% in waste, but the waste is passing through 3 columns of sediment filters and 2 active carbon columns). The symptoms were the same as I put the fishes in very low ph. Everything passed during 3-4-5 days. In first instance I put furan (I think that this is active ingredient of Interpet internal bacteria number nine) .
    Horrible. I bought 2 albino platinum (smaller), from the same provider and I have put with other growing discus. And they introduced white dots disease. First time in my 2 years experience with discus. But this is treatable.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

The female has died. Still fighting for male.

Try a different supplier and see how it goes. I have no other suggestions. Discus are usually easy to care for like your others when the water is right.
    Mama Bear

I hope he makes it. It's hard. We know. Everyone here has all lost special Discus.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Thanks Liz for your help. The problem is that sometimes the unexplainable things happens. You treat all fishes te same way with same water. Water parameters were OK (like for others breeding tanks). And suddenly acute disease happens that you cannot control. Just cannot understand such a rapid development od disease symptoms that I could not act on time. Everyting was OK last weekend and just started 5 days ago rapid decline.

Real Name
    Tom

When ever I see external issues I go for the Potassium Permanganate and water changes .
    Sorry about losing the female .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    When ever I see external issues I go for the Potassium Permanganate and water changes .
    Sorry about losing the female .
    Do you know the PP dosis? For the future
    Just I have lost the other fish.

Real Name
    Francis

Potassium permanganate dosage.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...te-(PP)-How-To

Quote Originally Posted by slaven View Post
    Do you know the PP dosis? For the future
    Just I have lost the other fish.
    Grasshopper