ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ro water for breeders

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default Ro water for breeders

Hi everyone,
    I am optimizing my water Ro for breeding tanks. The water here in Valencia, Spain is extremely hard (800ppm) and I am forced to do the Ro water. Ro water I mix with waste (90% Ro and 10% waste). The water going out of Ro is finally 20-60 ppm, that is why I mix with waste. Final water is about 200ppm. I know that this water is still hard but the eggs hatch even in 300ppm. The ph is about 6,4 and GH1-2
    In my breeding aquariums the eggs hatch but still there is no consistency. The lay eggs and only a few of them become wrigglers. I think that the water is somehow poor, because I saw that dirty water even with 10 days withour changing produce more wrigglers than clean water. I tried with pure Ro, 50, 100 but the number of fry that come out is low (20-30).
    These are all observations.
    I was wondering to use Pure Ro water and to remineralize. I know that many people will said to me to use any water until they start to clean, and than to switch to pure Ro only for a day of laying to avoid calcification of eggs, but this method produce the effects mentioned above.
    Do you have some methods for remineralization of Ro for breeding and for inducing the spawn?
    I would be delight to listen your experience?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Ro water for breeders

Hi Slaven, just for clarity are you measuring TDS vs millisiemens? Guessing you are using TDS since it is expressed in ppm.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default Re: Ro water for breeders

The same tester is for both, but what I said is ppm.