ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: poret foam

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: poret foam

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    If you are saying it’s so goo I maybe try it then in my sump. I have there socks, k1 moving bad media and a place for 4" foam.
    Are you using 30ppi ? Would you choose 4" 30ppi or 2" 30ppi and 2" 45ppi? Or 45 is too fine and might clog?
    It has certainly been a while since I've had this setup but I believe I had both 20 and 30 in different stages. I had a sock for entry, fall over in to a poret section and then media and finally the return section.

Let me try to find something in my old thread to show you.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    It has certainly been a while since I've had this setup but I believe I had both 20 and 30 in different stages. I had a sock for entry, fall over in to a poret section and then media and finally the return section.

Let me try to find something in my old thread to show you.

This was me working on the building of the sump:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=1#post1152482

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

took a while but here is a pic, albeit, a bad one because I forgot my stand blocks most of it:
    DSC04480 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Without media:
    DSC04390 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cafepress.com

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I'm using Poret foam in Part I of my 2-Part Sump.
    It's 2" poret... 2 sheets for each side for rotating during cleaning (clean one, shift the other one ahead).. I have 10, 20, 30, 45 ppi sizes. It's not in use yet, so the 45ppi may end up being unsuitable for the sump.. we will see.... But with the shipping to get it from Europe, I thought I'd just get all 4 stages. They are 12 1/4 wide X 10" high. THey are seperated by Eggcrate that is held to the glass with suction cups, but I don't think that was really necessary (probably overkill). Hope to put it in service in 2 months.. Just finishing up the 'fish nook' now (I'll start a thread on the fish nook soon).

SumpFilterSide.jpg
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    I'm using Poret foam in Part I of my 2-Part Sump.
    It's 2" poret... 2 sheets for each side for rotating during cleaning (clean one, shift the other one ahead).. I have 10, 20, 30, 45 ppi sizes. It's not in use yet, so the 45ppi may end up being unsuitable for the sump.. we will see.... But with the shipping to get it from Europe, I thought I'd just get all 4 stages. They are 12 1/4 wide X 10" high. THey are seperated by Eggcrate that is held to the glass with suction cups, but I don't think that was really necessary (probably overkill). Hope to put it in service in 2 months.. Just finishing up the 'fish nook' now (I'll start a thread on the fish nook soon).

SumpFilterSide.jpg
    that is actually a lot of foam lol. I would be very observant the first few months of having this up and running on how much build up takes place.

Cafepress.com

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I have a similar setup with 10ppi, 20ppi and 30ppi pieces, I found that the horizontal arrangement once the bacteria is established and mature the foam sheds the mulm which I suck out at each QC. I haven't cleaned my foam in years.

Real Name
    Peter

Ricardo, Yeah, I wonder if I do have too much foam. I'll know once it's been up and running for a while.

James, Are you referring to Ricardo's arrangement as Horizontal, or my arrangement as Horizontal? It's a matter of perspective, so I really have to ask.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Ricardo, Yeah, I wonder if I do have too much foam. I'll know once it's been up and running for a while.

James, Are you referring to Ricardo's arrangement as Horizontal, or my arrangement as Horizontal? It's a matter of perspective, so I really have to ask.
    I am just concerned about the mulm that tends to accumulate on the really fine foam. Just something to mind I think.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Peter

The good folks at Swiss Tropicals thought that the 45ppm might be too fine for my design. I purchased it anyway, and will remove that stage if I see excess Mulm and Blocking...
    Peter

learning never stops

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Sorry I was referring to Peter's setup in that the water flow is horizontal. I never saw a restriction in flow (water level higher on intake vs outtake) and after some settling in time the side of the foam touching the glass is mulm-free. It did take some patience and time (~6 months) for the mulm to settle and then flow the whole way through. Each WC I remove mulm from the side of the sump that has biomax behind it in your picture.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

You can view a video of my sump using poret foam....https://youtu.be/4_nVkAtsqIU

Real Name
    Peter

James,
    Thank you very much for your feedback! Gives me hope that I've gone down the right path..
    Peter
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12