I love that birb!
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Default Re: I have a broody hen

OMG how cute is she

Real Name
    Fritz

This was todays haul of eggs. We have diversified our flock and now have eggs of many colors. Still have to keep them in the run which sucks but havn't had a murderfest in awhile.

eggs baby.jpg
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Mine are just starting to lay again now that the days are getting longer and their feathers are growing back from their molt. I got 6 yesterday.

Miss Chickie is still in the fish room. The weather has been warm. I've been thinking of locking her in the hen house for a few days then letting her opening the chicken door. I'll feel sorry for her because I know how mean the big hens will be to her. But I can't let her stay in the fish room for her entire life.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Mine are just starting to lay again now that the days are getting longer and their feathers are growing back from their molt. I got 6 yesterday.

Miss Chickie is still in the fish room. The weather has been warm. I've been thinking of locking her in the hen house for a few days then letting her opening the chicken door. I'll feel sorry for her because I know how mean the big hens will be to her. But I can't let her stay in the fish room for her entire life.
    No hurry, let her get a bit bigger and the days get warmer. Ya the production is very much improving with the longer days. Had a couple of our hens molting also. You would think they would do that when its warmer. Go figure.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Fritz

better.jpg

Chickens really getting going now. Averaging 10 -12 a day.

Me too. My eggs are all darkish brown and large Some have spots. The yokes are medium orange not yellow. My nephew used to say that they taste like sunshine. It's because the chicken get to eat bugs and grubs and worms and grass or whatever else they find while scratching around. They are spoiled rotten. 3 of them have chosen places in the house to lay their daily egg. Chickens must get rid of all their poop before they lay because these 3 never poop on the floor.

I still don't have a rooster.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

grubs are thick right now, my wife shovels them up and tosses them in the coop. The chickens keep a real close eye. lol Kids love our eggs, the say ewwww, when looking at store eggs. Get a rooster have to have one on craigslist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123