AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a broody hen

Default I have a broody hen

I have around 18 Bielefelder hens but my only rooster died in an accident before he matured. So I have no cock a doodle do and no fertile Bielefelder eggs. I think I miss the cock a doodle do and watching the antics of a rooster more than anything.

But suddenly one of my hens went broody! This breed is not supposed to do that but chickens like humans are individuals. I can buy fertile Bielefelder eggs on Ebay and if this hen turns out to be a good mama I can make my own rooster. This time of year isn't the best time of year to raise chicks but the chances of success is much better if the babies have a mama to watch other them like the proverbial mother hen.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I have a broody hen

Sounds like a nice fall project Liz
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

There is nothing like watching a mama hen take care of her babies. It's like watching your Discus babies attach and defended by their parents. If it fails it fails but I'm looking forward to trying.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    There is nothing like watching a mama hen take care of her babies. It's like watching your Discus babies attach and defended by their parents. If it fails it fails but I'm looking forward to trying.
    If I had hens I would do it Liz and plenty of pics please!
    Pat

Today is 13 days since I put the eggs under their adoptive mama. This morning I put a couple eggs to my ear and I could hear the chicks moving around inside the egg. I've never been a mama before myself but this must be a similar but not as strong feeling as it is when human mamas feel the baby moving around inside their tummy. It's a simply wonderful feeling. In a few more days I'll hear chicks going "peep, peep, peep". In around 8 more days I'll have little exhausted wet chicks hatching. It's hard work for a little chick to peck it's way out of the egg. They actually appear almost dead. But with a real chicken mama to dote on them they'll dry off and start getting their strength back to walk around and start eating and drinking.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Ok this sounds very interesting. And being a city boy my one question is how do you make your own rooster?? Is there more to it than just buying the eggs and hoping ones a rooster? Wishing you the best of luck! Will the chicks stay inside for the winter?

All you can do is put a bunch of fertile eggs either under a broody hen or stick them in the incubator. The chicks will be fine with there mama with our fairly mild winters here. When they're little mama keeps them close and they get underneath her warm belly to keep warm when they need to. Respiratory problems are common when the chickens are kept totally confined all the time.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Today is 13 days since I put the eggs under their adoptive mama. This morning I put a couple eggs to my ear and I could hear the chicks moving around inside the egg. I've never been a mama before myself but this must be a similar but not as strong feeling as it is when human mamas feel the baby moving around inside their tummy. It's a simply wonderful feeling. In a few more days I'll hear chicks going "peep, peep, peep". In around 8 more days I'll have little exhausted wet chicks hatching. It's hard work for a little chick to peck it's way out of the egg. They actually appear almost dead. But with a real chicken mama to dote on them they'll dry off and start getting their strength back to walk around and start eating and drinking.
    Excited for you Liz and look forward to pictures
    Pat

I'd take some of her on the nest but she's in a dark nook.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Good one Liz, sounds like good times to be had! DIY rooster, that pretty cool!

Here's the sad state of affairs as of this evening. The first chicks hatched out 2 days ago. The mothers (there were 2 broodies and they shared the nest) killed 2 babies and I rescued one that had been pecked and tossed from the nest that was still alive. I stuck it in my boobs to warm it's little cold body up until the incubator came to temp. It was a little boy.

I put the new chick as well as the rest of the eggs in the incubator. Yesterday a little girl chick hatched out. I put them up in a cardboard box brooder in the fish room where it's warm and put a heat lamp over them and made their brooder the 95 degrees. The little girl was up and about in no time. My boy was not doing well. He had lost the use of one of his legs. He was drinking and ate a gruel I made for him, but not dry chick starter. Just after WC I found that he had drowned in the chick waterer. Chick waters are designed so that the chicks can't drown in it but this guy did it because he couldn't get around.

That is not the end of it. I have another dang Bielefelder hen who has gone broody. I've been debating whether to spend another $45. for more potential heart break or my stubborn will to succeed in making a rooster. I know which way I will go. My Discus have taught me that I'm bad at giving up.
    Mama Bear

Little girl chick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

What a cutie Liz, sorry for all your recent trouble.
    Pat

Real Name
    Fritz

I am Shasta scourge of the chicken coop. I escaped my yard and ran into the coop. All the chickens ran in first. I mascaraed 8 hens. It was glorious. I no longer live in Texas I moved to Oklahoma. I have new humans that have another husky. I showed them how good I am at eating couches,

Been recouping from this, happened a few weeks ago. Coyotes showed up next. No longer able to free range them which was so much fun. Bob my favorite Americana Rooster got eaten by the coyotes. Now all integrated into Hen House with 10 x 20 run attached. Luckily Bob fathered a few chicks before he got eaten. But dam that sure hurt our egg production. Went from 6-10 a day to 3-5. Juveniles have another month or so before they will be layers. Luckily the Ducks hid under the Hen House

shasta.jpg
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

I'm not getting any eggs to speak of either with 3 hens molting, and 3 sitting on nests. I've been through the dog thing, the coyote thing, the possum thing and the worst, the bobcat thing. It hurts.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast