ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a broody hen

Real Name
    Fritz

Default Re: I have a broody hen

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not getting any eggs to speak of either with 3 hens molting, and 3 sitting on nests. I've been through the dog thing, the coyote thing, the possum thing and the worst, the bobcat thing. It hurts.
    Bobcat thing, dam. We had a hawk fly right in the coop. Wife scared the crap out of it. Possum and coyotes trying to tunnel in now. Bastards.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

The bobcat was the worst. You can't imagine the carnage. Feathers and parts everywhere. Early on with these Bielefelders, shortly before they started laying I had a coyote. He snagged 2 at different times. I saw both, but she was so fast there was nothing I could do to stop it. She looked to be about starving to death, poor thing. I haven't seen the coyote since.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The bobcat was the worst. You can't imagine the carnage. Feathers and parts everywhere. Early on with these Bielefelders, shortly before they started laying I had a coyote. He snagged 2 at different times. I saw both, but she was so fast there was nothing I could do to stop it. She looked to be about starving to death, poor thing. I haven't seen the coyote since.
    We put ours in a coop and the neighbors chickens got ravaged by a pack of coyotes. We went searching and found the feast area. Feathers, legs, etc everywhere. Big hawk got a couple from them also. Really pissed my wife off she raised all but 3 for the neighbors. Stock from our roosters and hens. I think like brine shrimp, everything thinks chickens are delicious.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

I moved Miss Chickie to a 75 gallon tank I had sitting outside. She has room to run around more. I take her out of the tank and let her sit and play with me on the fish room sofa. She's especially fond of my terry cloth bathrobe so when I take it off I'll often put it on the sofa. She has her chick food and water but I can't resist doing something that "they" say should not be done. I give her treats of meal worms. Absolutely no more than 5 a day though. I wanted to get pics of her hunting them and eating them but she's so fast I was only able to get one poor picture of it.

Have you ever seen such a sweet innocent face in your life? The day after Thanksgiving I found out that my nephew who lives in London died suddenly of a massive heart attack. The news was devastating to me and I found my self in great need of something small and helpless to care for and I had Miss Chickie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Liz I am very sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your nephew, that is devastating news. My deepest condolences sis

Thanks, Danny. His name was Tom. He was my best friend and I was his.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hugs Liz and sorry to hear about Tom. Glad Miss Chickie is there for you, she is super cute
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Fritz

Sorry to hear about your nephew Liz. Miss Chickee is lucky to have you.

Thanks Fritz. I'm lucky to have her at this time. She is very entertaining. She's just a little tiny chick but she has managed twice to fly up and get out of her tank. The tank is 21" tall so she is quite the athlete. The first time it happened I was in bed reading and I heard the peeps of a chick in distress. The door to the fish rom was open and I went down to find my dog Big Head carrying her around in his mouth. He's the dog in my avatar. Dumb as a stump and as gentle as can be. He dropped her and I scooped her up and put her on my chest in bed. I think she actually passed out but after 1/2 hr. she got up and started acting normal. The second time was just this morning. I went down to feed the fish and she was happily cheeping, scratching, and pecking around on the fish room floor. I'm going to have to figure out something for when she's older. I can't have chicken poop all over the fish room floor.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

wow she's pretty athletic. The dog sounds awesome. lol.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

She is the cutest chick I have seen Liz! Glad she is a pet chicken for you, she will be well spoiled!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I was not prepared to raise a single chick. But as the only chick she needs a friend, and I'm the only friend available to her. And yes, she will be spoiled.
    Mama Bear

So here she is after lights out in the fish room except for the night light. This is where she likes to sleep. The peace lily is so healthy I don't think anything could kill it let alone Miss Chickie. Do you think she's spoiled?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Too cute Liz and one content little chickie.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Fritz

very cute picture Liz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast